Gransnet forums

Gardening

renaissance roses. Any good?

(21 Posts)
craftyone Sat 15-Jun-19 09:41:00

I saw them for sale on qvc, then I spot that the pots are only 13cm. The roses look nice and 3 would fit nicely in a large planter that I have. Does anyone know what their disease resistance is like? I have been used to David Austin roses, which are spectacular

Gonegirl Sat 15-Jun-19 09:48:45

We have a shrub rose, which I think is pretty well the same thing. It has a gorgeous display for a short while at this time of year. Not repeat flowering. Very prickly. It has gone too high up to be able to smell it, so can't comment on the scent. Called Ballerina.

It's very old but does well without much care. Perhaps modern ones are different.

Can't imagine it in a planter though, especially with two others.

janeainsworth Sat 15-Jun-19 09:55:46

I had to google renaissance roses and it seems they aren’t what you think gonegirl - in fact they are new shrub roses.
www.trevorwhiteroses.co.uk/product-category/renaissance-roses/

I think I’d stick with David Austin crafty

Gonegirl Sat 15-Jun-19 09:58:08

Just had a look and the modern ones are repeat flowering. Mine is one of the old ones, here to day -gone very quickly.

Shouldn't have looked - I'm getting tempted now!

EllanVannin Sat 15-Jun-19 10:11:12

I like the heavily scented roses and the David Austin ones are to go for. In my last house there were a couple of the most gorgeous smelling roses ( French names ) which had been there for years, probably from the 50's which we won't see their like again. I wished I'd taken cuttings.

Gonegirl Sat 15-Jun-19 10:15:14

I planted the one I mentioned back in the early seventies. Amazing how well they can last.

seacliff Sat 15-Jun-19 10:28:04

I don't know these roses. Just looked them up, they look good, but I suppose because they are quite new, there are not many comments.

I always thought the old roses were great for perfume, but some of these apparently are good too. I do like a repeat flowering rose that is not ruined by rain and wind. They have them at Cants in Colchester, and Peter Beales I think, so I may pop along and see them growing, it's always good to see them in a garden.

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 11:51:40

Just looked at the above Trevor White website. It seems that none of them are repeat flowering or disease resistant! I too will stick to David Austin.
I walk past a Ballerina in my village, Gonegirl and agree it is lovely for a short while only.
These Renaissance roses are new, so I would have expected better.

craftyone Sat 15-Jun-19 11:57:44

Thanks. I will stay with David Autin. I want to get many more roses for my back garden, best in autumn now. I love my David Austin shrub roses, had to make a determined effort to get 12 potgrown roses planted in late april and am very grateful for the rain, used the fungi and lots of composted manure. They are superb, many many flowers. I picked shrubs up to 3.5 feet high and the most disease resistant, pink ones and white ones. Everyone comments on them. They are uplifting

craftyone Sat 15-Jun-19 11:59:32

new build, could have remained a weed infested rubble site but is now very healthy looking area with these 12 roses, bounded by lavender little lady short hedge. David Austin is sadly missed

MaizieD Sat 15-Jun-19 12:05:59

This site says that they're repeat flowering

www.countrygardenroses.co.uk/shop/23-Renaissance-Roses#footer_description

They're nowhere near as expensive as David Austin roses; I'd give them a go (unless you prefer to buy home bred roses). They look lovely.

If your Ballerina has got too big, Gonegirl, it wouldn't hurt it if you cut it back to the size you want. Roses are very tough. I have an old climber (no idea what it's called) which was planted by the last owner but one of our house; probably in the 1960s. It survived being cut down to ground level, heeled in for a few months, and then replanted in a different place. I'd taken cuttings, not expecting it to survive, but it did!

HildaW Sat 15-Jun-19 12:27:35

We have just installed some David Austin roses in our new garden along with a couple that were in large containers in the old garden. I will always sing their praises and the lovely book that David Austin produce. It looks like a glossy catalogue but is much more and has so much information.
Sounds a bit like I'm on commission (NOT) but their roses really are hard to beat and for anyone within striking distance of their show garden I'd recommend a visit.

Gonegirl Sat 15-Jun-19 12:31:14

Can't get at it MaizieD. grin It's in the beech hedge and it grows up to the light. Will leave well alone. Even though I do have to go to the other side of the road to see its flowers. hmm smile

shysal Sat 15-Jun-19 12:56:28

Interesting MaizieD. Did you notice that 3 different named roses had the same flower photo?

MaizieD Sat 15-Jun-19 20:32:45

Ha, ha, shysal! No, I didn't... grin

I do now....

lemongrove Sat 15-Jun-19 21:14:21

I always now use David Austin for roses, and buy them bare rooted for planting early.
Good disease resistance and many do have perfume, just planted two climbers (pink) Strawberry Hill.

KatyK Sun 16-Jun-19 16:09:04

We are by no means expert gardeners but about l5 years ago we bought a carpet rose. We had no idea what to do with it. We didn't want to put it in the ground as we feared it would take over. We put it in a large pot on a low wall. What a beauty it is. It flowers twice a year and is admired by everyone. It's rooted to the wall now!

craftyone Tue 18-Jun-19 10:08:57

I bought myself a special spade with a sharp pointy tip, I have 6 david austin roses doing very well on my allotment and have deicided to move them here in late autumn. I only have to cut the top down and cut a circle 8 inches all around the stem. They are beautiful roses so I may as well admire them from the house.

Got to work out where to plant them, need to design and evolve my brand new garden, the whole is covered in humus and weed fabric for now. I needed to lift and lighten the soil, after the heavy machinery of new build and am hoping that the damp under the fabric plus humus will bring the worms in

Luckily rose expert sis, with over 100 roses from aus, is coming in a few weeks, she is arty and will help design my garden with minimal wasted space, no grass and no more hard landscaping as I will have a future-proofed massive patio area

Renaissance is out of the picture now. The 18 David Austin roses that I have are spectacular this year

3dognight Wed 19-Jun-19 11:32:47

David Austins scented roses are just divine.

I have made a rose garden on about a quarter of my council allotment. Just for my own pleasure and cutting for flowers.
To fill it I mainly bought a couple of packs of six 'lost label' roses from a large rose grower online. Most are coming along just fine, and it will be a complete surprise as all were planted not knowing what they were! However, my sister bought me three Gertrude Geykal (?) and they are there looking smelling and repeat flowering to their hearts content, or will be soon....

If you can, it's always worth a visit to his rose gardens in the Midlands, near Wolverhampton I think . It's magical for a rose lover!

MaizieD Thu 20-Jun-19 19:51:24

Gertrude Jekyll

They don't really repeat flower. I have one. It has a first 'flush' about now then sporadic flowers until the first frosts.

craftyone Tue 02-Jul-19 09:00:45

The 6 DA roses on the allotment are being stunning this year, had loads of comments but I can only get there every7-14 days as it is a drive away, several miles. I was watering the rose/dwarf lavender area and on the same west side, in a biggish location, I planted 2 x anabelle hydrangeas which are taking a lot of water. It makes sense for me to take the hydrangeas out this autum and to plant in a shadier area in the back, I will have to buy several more sacks of rose humus like manure compost but I have the sharp pointy spade and sharp secateurs and I am going to put the 6 x 4 year old DA roses in the hydrangea area, plenty of room for them. I just have to wait to dormancy, cut the stems down, cut around each plant about 8", shake the soil off, make sure the fungi goes in and bobs yer uncle. I get to enjoy these beautiful roses and so do my neighbours