Gransnet forums

Gardening

First runner beans

(6 Posts)
Liaise Thu 25-Jul-19 07:32:11

TANITH something may be eating the roots underneath. I don't know what the solution is. Maybe next year grow some extra plants.

tanith Sat 13-Jul-19 13:45:02

Lucky you enjoy, I'm really upset as I love beans straight from the garden I only plant half a dozen and a couple have reached the top of the poles just two are dying and two haven't even started to climb I think they may die too. I don't know what's happened ?

jusnoneed Sat 13-Jul-19 12:37:01

Our tomatoes, both greenhouse and outdoors, are just starting to colour so won't be long until picking can start (my OH has planted far too many so I will probably be busy making sauce for the freezer in a few weeks!) and we have had loads of cucumbers. First of the beetroot too.
Chillis are just about ready to use.
It's lovely to have it all so fresh, a salad from the garden has flavour.

M0nica Sat 13-Jul-19 11:15:36

I have already had my first picking of runner beans, tomatoes and a courgette. Also 2 of mange tout, sugar snap peas.

French beans are covered with flowers but no beans yet.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 10:55:47

I just used to wash them and eat them raw as they were so tender and tasty. Fresh broad beans another of my favourite.

jusnoneed Sat 13-Jul-19 10:46:14

Wandered up the garden to pick some peas, looked around and noticed a few runner beans big enough to pick. We were only saying the other day that the beans were slow to get going but the last week/ten days they have shot up and lots of flowers and young beans.
Loads of french beans ready too, and second sowing of broad beans just about ready.