Gransnet forums

Gardening

My marigolds are getting eaten??

(12 Posts)
Coolgran65 Wed 17-Jul-19 21:25:30

About 2 weeks ago I put in 12 french marigold plants. They haven't thrived as well as I'd hoped but could be because they are under the spreading apple tree, a bit shady.

Two days ago I noticed one plant completely stripped, the foliage chomped away. I thought perhaps caterpillars but there's no sign of them. Looking it up online the general consensus seems to be slugs/snails though I wondered about the stem of a marigold supporting a slug while it climbed and chomped. Today another two plants have gone. No others appear to have been touched.

I've been prompted by what I've read to put in a couple of slug traps. No beer or yeast in the house which is recommended, so I've gone with iced tea (the bottle was out of date) with lots of sugar and salt added. The sugary sweetness to attract them. Kept the solution level down a bit so they can't climb out. You will see a red trap and a white trap in the photos.

Has anyone had success with these home made slug traps? I thought marigolds were pretty safe but it seems that they are like a steak sandwich to a slug. smile

Alima Thu 18-Jul-19 07:28:47

I did try once but found the blighters didn’t like Tesco cheap lager. Bought especially for them too. My tried and tested way of dealing with slugs requires a lidded jar with salt water and a rubber glove. You can probably guess the rest. (In my experience, slugs really enjoy marigolds whatever their nationality. Always wondered how parks managed to produce such wonderful displays with them back in the day the councils could afford flowers).

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jul-19 03:34:58

My slug traps didn't work. Not a single slug was caught.
I took a plant to the local garden centre and it was confirmed that it was definitely slugs at work.

Pantglas1 Wed 24-Jul-19 05:20:28

I’m wide awake too early this morning and looked at the title above and wondered what creatures would be eating your washing up gloves......this is what lack of sleep does to me!

ILE35 Wed 24-Jul-19 07:43:51

Lol Pantglas1 I just opened the thread thinking the very same ???

Clearly too early for me yet!

Auntieflo Wed 24-Jul-19 07:56:06

I'm evidently not so wide awake. it took me a moment to catch on. smile (where's my tea?)
Oh, by the way, my marigolds are fine!

lemongrove Wed 24-Jul-19 08:00:18

It’s def slugs doing that damage by the looks of it.
We don’t get any ( never seen even one,amazingly) but we used to live somewhere with zillions, it was heartbreaking putting new plants in.
Slug traps never actually get many of the blighters.

MawBroonsback Wed 24-Jul-19 09:47:31

Why does this conjure up a picture of yellow kitchen gloves?????

EllanVannin Wed 24-Jul-19 09:47:54

I can't grow them for that reason, they get decimated.

MawBroonsback Wed 24-Jul-19 09:48:10

Oops, I see great minds thunk alike! grin

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jul-19 09:54:08

That is so funny about marigold gloves ;)

Looks like the answer could me a midnight hunt with a torch.

henetha Wed 24-Jul-19 09:57:56

I think it's slugs. I have trouble with the little blighters.
Someone gave me an extra large bottle of wine for Christmas and I found that slugs absolutely love it.
I've several small containers of drowned slugs around the garden now.
(sorry to upset wine lovers..... or slug lovers.)