Gransnet forums

Gardening

Honesty

(11 Posts)
paddyann Sun 11-Aug-19 11:58:40

I've been buying things for the garden that my father used to have when I was small ,a lovely White Lilac for instance ,now I'm looking for Honesty ,I used to love the purple flowers and silver honesty pennies .Does anyone know if its still available ? I've tried local garden centres and no luck and the staff dont seem to have even heard of it .I'd prefer an established plant ,I'm not great with .Help !

paddyann Sun 11-Aug-19 12:00:12

not great with seeds! New laptop and it has a dodgy keyboard

grannyqueenie Sun 11-Aug-19 12:01:45

I had it a few years back, it just appeared out of nowhere... then vanished again! You might get a bit from a local gardener?

hillwalker70 Sun 11-Aug-19 12:11:37

It grows like a weed in my garden, I am always digging it out. The seeds are available in packets, I have seen the, purple and white, good luck.

dragonfly46 Sun 11-Aug-19 12:20:14

It is a biennial but it provides enough seeds to keep going for years. I haven't seen any for a long time but I suspect it would not be too difficult to grow from seed as they are quite prolific.

shysal Sun 11-Aug-19 13:37:28

A few options for plants on Ebay. Not sure of the best time of year to put them in.
Honesty plants for sale

J52 Sun 11-Aug-19 14:08:32

I bought one last under a different name, in the sad plant corner. I was very surprised this spring to find out that it was Honesty.
It now matches the large patch at the other end of the garden! grin

paddyann Sun 11-Aug-19 14:09:13

thank you shysal I've just orderd some.

Auntieflo Sun 11-Aug-19 14:50:13

I had some pop up in our front garden this year, and have no idea where it came from, but it was very welcome.

kittylester Sun 11-Aug-19 14:50:46

I've got some. It reminds me of dmil! It doesnt do very well but I always get some coming back!

BlueBelle Sun 11-Aug-19 17:40:23

Grannyqueenie I m the same I used to have lots which appeared then it disappeared This year my friend gave me some seeds and I have grown some and they are doing ok but didn’t flower so thinking maybe next year