Gransnet forums

Gardening

getting old!!!

(5 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 13-Aug-19 13:12:14

Now i know i am getting past it. Today I was working in the garden doing some weeding and when i went to get up i couldnt!!! I had a long handle hoe with me which i tried using to help me to no avail, luckily my DH noticed and came to my aid but felt so silly especially as it was in the front garden where all could see. My kneeling stool with the arm rests will now be my gardening partner !!!!

Luckygirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:20:40

Funny you should say that......I am writing this during a brief break from doing some gentle gardening and realising that everything hurts!!!

craftyone Thu 15-Aug-19 06:30:47

me too. I have had a lot of hard work to do to prep ground for my future apple trees and fruit bushes. 9 large holes prepped, each taking on average 4 hours of solid work. new build, say no more. 4 raised beds in position and extra patio being laid by the builder. Everything was ok but I recently started to use my trowel to prise me up

Last hole yesterday and suddenly my hip was killing me, I could barely stand. Painkillers and core strengthening exercises and the pain is sibsiding. Thank goodness all the holes are ready, that is it, I am getting old and my body cannot take it any more and I too will be getting my supported kneeler out of store

Newquay Thu 15-Aug-19 07:02:12

DH and I have been using kneelers for a while. I’m now going to get one of those tool belts to wear round my waist too so I don’t have to keep reaching for tools either. I can only do half an hour at a time unless it’s a standing up job using long handled tools-sigh!

srn63 Thu 15-Aug-19 09:37:59

I am the same, I only do standing jobs in the garden now and I consider my husband and I to be pretty fit and only in our mid 60's as well, luckily our garden is easily maintained and has had the majority of all the heavy work done in the past. Anything we can't manage, such as hedge cutting we pay someone to do. It does make me wonder though, why all of the people on shows such as "Escape to the County" want a house with at least a couple of acres, they are usually older people who although fit now must surely realise that they won't always be able to manage such large areas by themselves and gardeners do not come cheap. You only need to leave a garden for a couple of weeks and it takes forever to get it back in shape so they must be constantly working in these gardens.