Gransnet forums

Gardening

This summer's star plant?

(80 Posts)
shysal Tue 20-Aug-19 17:24:38

Which annual or perennial plant has performed the best for you this summer?
For the first time I grew Petunia Tidal Wave, some from seed and others from cheap plug plants from a TV shopping channel. They climb and trail and look like they will keep going until the first frosts. Each of the examples pictured shows a single pot containing 3 or 5 plugs. Thank you Monty for featuring the Velour red ones which prompted my purchases.

Namsnanny Mon 26-Aug-19 17:17:40

Sweet peas for me!
Sorry the photo is a bit wonky, only way I could get them in!

I’m getting at least a bunch per day.
Can’t beat them for scent and coloursmile

Purpledaffodil Thu 22-Aug-19 16:02:37

Thanks very much shysal. I must write that down before I forget. They came in one pot with two colours from the garden centre for £2:99 a pot and were a very cheap way of refilling a hanging basket mid season.

shysal Thu 22-Aug-19 14:48:12

purpledaffodil, the little petunias are what used to be called Million Bells, but now known as Calibrachoa.

Purpledaffodil Thu 22-Aug-19 14:13:02

Tidal wave petunias for me too. They’re not trailing as much as they should because I followed advice to put polystyrene under the soil in the tall pots and it compacted so much that the plants start nearly half a metre below the top of the pot. I will have to refill and replant the phormium plants in the autumn.
Please could anyone tell me the name of the tiny petunias in the hanging baskets? They were a last minute replacement for some sad geraniums and have been very pretty for weeks.
Not usually this active in the garden but we had GD’s post baptism party in the garden in July and wanted it to look pleasing.

Fennel Thu 22-Aug-19 12:40:14

Beautiful garden, gillybob.
Our front garden isn't photogenic. Everyone's old rubbish, dried leaves etc, end up there.

gillybob Thu 22-Aug-19 08:27:24

My soil is only weed free because it is absolutely covered in planting shysal. I like the idea of lazy gardening where you cram loads into a small space leaving little room for weeds !

There is a clump of little Pom-Pom style Alliums that are finished and I can’t wait to get them out. I am going to try them in a pot next time as they look a mess when they fall over .

shysal Thu 22-Aug-19 07:30:54

gillybob, I love your hydrangeas and am impressed by the seemingly weed-free soil! I use ground cover so that I have no bare earth showing hence no weeding.

OPgrndtr Thu 22-Aug-19 01:59:49

My variegated Hostas that came up for a second year have bloomed prolifically and after I trimmed the old bloom stems off last month they are blooming again!

Callistemon Wed 21-Aug-19 22:46:30

Lovely photos, everyone!

Callistemon Wed 21-Aug-19 22:45:05

Our climbing hydrangea was beautiful this year and the bees loved it - I've never seen so many in our garden.

gillybob Wed 21-Aug-19 22:44:33

My hydrangeas are absolute super stars this year too.

janeainsworth Wed 21-Aug-19 22:40:16

Thank you Lisa smile

HillyN Wed 21-Aug-19 21:56:36

My star plants are perennial sweet peas. I planted them 2 or 3 years ago. Each year they came to nothing but this year they are up the wall, in a nearby tree and flowering prolifically.
The other plant that has done amazingly well is a Salvia 'Love and Wishes' that I planted a couple of months ago in a new bed. The day after I planted it a stem got broken off and I put it a jar of water to enjoy the flowers. The stem has rooted and the plant in the garden is huge!

Grandmama Wed 21-Aug-19 21:53:11

Dandelions, bittercress, cleavers, wild geum, nettles! Most have arrived from the three back gardens that surround mine.

GrannyLondon Wed 21-Aug-19 21:49:56

A David Austin Rose. This is my first one & it is worth every penny.
Lovely large heads of white blooms, repeat flowering & delicate fragrance. It’s thornless too.
It’s called Kew Gardens. I love it.

Lisagran Wed 21-Aug-19 18:53:49

Lovely, janeainsworth smile

lmm6 Wed 21-Aug-19 18:10:38

Planted 2 packets of wildflower seeds in one long border. Fabulous results but not quite sure what to do now as it’s past its best. Presumably leave the seedheads for the birds? Then let any remaining seeds drop for next year I guess? But in the meantime the border will look very untidy.

janeainsworth Wed 21-Aug-19 16:46:14

These are my stars
Clematis romantika
Agapanthus & montbretia
Lacecap hydrangea

Lins1066 Wed 21-Aug-19 16:36:41

The Cosmos plants we buy from a local garden centre are still going strong in the pots in front garden. The neighbours have said how good they are. They are pink, purple and white, the other colours sound lovely.Also the sweet peas, they seem to be more fragrant this year.

Daisymae Wed 21-Aug-19 16:20:45

Aster for me has been in full flow for weeks now and will keep going till the first frost.xx

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 21-Aug-19 16:04:40

I don't do annuals as I feel that other plants give more value for money. My roses have been fabulous but as ever, suffer from black spot. Never mind, the flowers are lovely.

Kim19 Wed 21-Aug-19 15:53:30

Nope, no sign of these in my garden. Will ask around my local friends now that I know of it.

Kim19 Wed 21-Aug-19 15:50:09

N, I'm ignorant enough not to know what a red beetle is. Will look it up immediately. My only attack has been on a couple of my hostas.

shysal Wed 21-Aug-19 15:49:30

paperbackwriter, I ordered some Nicotiana and Verbena Bonariensis seeds on Ebay. The packets were printed with the relevant photos and instructions, only they all came up as Nicotiana! Yesterday I pinched some self sown VB plants from a verge, so hope I am not too late for them to thrive in my garden. The tobacco plants had no scent, do you know which variety smells good?

Paperbackwriter Wed 21-Aug-19 15:28:31

For me it was Tidal Wave petunias too! The dark red ones. I did a Cutting Garden course at Sarah Raven's place and she recommended them so I grew a load from seed. They are wonderful, climbing and trailing everywhere and a glorious deep shade.

I grow a lot of annuals from seed each year, starting early with several varieties of nicotiana. Maybe TOO early this time as every single one of those failed.