Gransnet forums

Gardening

Recommendations for climbing plants, please!

(11 Posts)
jacalpad Wed 21-Aug-19 12:14:05

Please can anyone help me with some recommendations for plants I could grow up a trellis? We have several new trellises in our garden, each between five and six feet tall. We really know very little about gardening. I can ask at the local garden centre, but I am sure you lovely people will have some excellent ideas. I would really like things which are easy to look after, with plenty of flowers and/or scent. The sweet peas we put in this summer, just as a stop-gap, were not very successful. They clearly prefer the triangular stick support. Our soil is very clay-like, so not particularly good drainage, and the trellises are in full sun. Thank you! flowers

kittylester Wed 21-Aug-19 12:19:19

Pyracantha do well on our clay soil as does flipping ivy! Actinidia is now doing well after a shaky start.

humptydumpty Wed 21-Aug-19 12:21:08

I had to cut down a beautiful passion flower last year because the gas board wabted to put a meter on the wall - but I was very happy to find that it has grown apace this summer; it produves beautiful flowers and I do nothing to help it other than attaching tendrils to the trellis - I can wholeheartedly recommend!

kittylester Wed 21-Aug-19 12:24:41

I had just come back to mention passionflower!! We cut ours right back most years!

Squiffy Wed 21-Aug-19 13:29:16

Jasmine works well and is scented. Everlasting sweet peas would romp away up the trellis - very pretty, but unscented. Clematis - check varieties as they flower at different times.

Namsnanny Wed 21-Aug-19 15:18:33

As above, plus, Honeysuckle, spring flowering (scented) Montana Clematis, Trachelospermum Jasminoides, to name a few!

BlueBelle Wed 21-Aug-19 15:56:08

My Morning Glory have been such a joy to me they flower and flower they grow up a trellis I collect the seeds and plant for next year

BlueBelle Wed 21-Aug-19 16:44:19

If you wanted I could send you some seeds x

jacalpad Sun 25-Aug-19 07:38:14

Thank you very much Ladies, some really good suggestions to look in to.
Bluebell, thank you for the offer of seeds. Very kind. I may be in touch! Thank you.

Nannytopsy Sun 25-Aug-19 09:36:16

Either summer or winter flowering jasmine?

loopyloo Sun 25-Aug-19 09:40:53

Roses? Good on clay. Loads to choose from.