Gransnet forums

Gardening

Growing on supermarket herbs?

(7 Posts)
Carillion01 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:36:23

Has anyone tried repotting the small black plastic pots of supermarket herbs and growing them on?

J52 Tue 27-Aug-19 10:49:25

I do it all the time. The pots are crammed full of little plants that have no hope of survival unless repotted, ordinary potting compost does.
Basil and coriander are summer herbs so repotted in early summertime is the best. They will have a short growing period now.
Rosemary and chives will overwinter and are a great way to start a herb garden, although the chives will die off in winter but resurface next spring.

Esspee Tue 27-Aug-19 11:22:08

I do it all the time. Basil is probably better potted on and kept on the window ledge as it needs so much water but the rest just get planted in my herb garden. Oh, just remembered... do keep mint in a large pot. If planted in the soil it goes rampant.

Fennel Tue 27-Aug-19 11:28:30

I replanted 4 herbs a few months ago, basil, mint, parsley and thyme.
I left the mint in its pot - it's doing ok but I don't use much mint.
The basil looks poorly, I haven't watered it enough.
The thyme is also rather poorly, maybe we have the wrong soil.
The parsley is the best.
plant. Also I would like a small bay bush. You can buy them online but wonder if this works? ie does the delivery system harm them?

Fennel Tue 27-Aug-19 11:29:59

ps part of my message didn't appear - I wrote I would like to buy a rosemary plant.

J52 Tue 27-Aug-19 11:36:02

Rosemary from the supermarket does well. Thyme need free draining soil and sun. So is best planted in a 50/50 gravel compost mix and in a shallow planter. Treat it like a rockery plant.
Bays grow like mad and are quite tough, so don’t spend loads on a fancy Bush ( unless you want to), a smaller plant in a planter will soon grow.

paddyann Tue 27-Aug-19 11:42:27

I can kill any plant within days ..I just have to look at them and they die.According to my daughter thats a skill no one else lays claim to.However I bought two basil plants for a big cook up in July ,used all the plants and have managed to grow them ever since.They look healthy and are tall ...its never been seen before in here .A bit of a miracle .Rosemary grows well here outside in the West of Scotland ,I have two bushes that even survived the awful winter a couple of years ago ,I have Bay tree,marjoram, thyme and several more that do well in spite of the cold winters .