Gransnet forums

Gardening

My hedge and my neighbours

(14 Posts)
Iam64 Sat 07-Sep-19 08:06:58

That's such good neighbourly behaviour tanith, good for all of you. I had a dreadful neighbour who refused to keep the Leylandi in his garden to a reasonable height, inevitably I had dying plants in the border and no light from mid day. He moved and eventually I reached an agreement with the new neighbour. I'd pay to have them lopped every year, he didn't mind this but wouldn't pay himself because the trees didn't affect him. The house is now for sale again.....

tanith Sat 07-Sep-19 07:59:50

It can make all the difference in the world to get on with the neighbours it’s a pity so many do not. I’m glad I’m not one.

kircubbin2000 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:52:59

2 conifer hedges border part of my garden. One neighbour vigorously trims it by hand several times a year.The other one hasn't a clue and it is now high and uneven.

sodapop Sat 07-Sep-19 07:35:16

So good to hear a positive story for a change, you are lucky to have kind neighbours tanith
We are fortunate too, everyone here is very kind to the ' only Brits in the village 'smile

BradfordLass72 Sat 07-Sep-19 07:21:38

A lovely story and lovely of you to share it tanith - a little bright spot in GN. flowers

Willow500 Sat 07-Sep-19 06:53:53

After falling out about a boundary fence with one set of neighbours after they moved in a few years ago they have now turned out to be pretty good after all. We've had problems with drug addicts setting fire to a derelict building which forms the boundary wall at the back of our garden and the neighbours have several times spotted the smoke before me and knocked to let me know after calling the fire brigade. He's also hopped over the fence and put the hosepipe on our summerhouse roof and the other side's conifers until they've arrived to stop it spreading. Last week they were having a new shed delivered and the only way to get it in was to take a fence panel out and bring it through our garden which we agreed to (they put the fence up). It was late in the day when the delivery truck arrived and we were going away so left them to it - neighbour was putting the panel back and locking the gate. When we got back he popped out to say he'd replaced the rotting piece of wood above the gate and painted it as they'd knocked it off. Husband then told him he'd taken it off himself as he thought they'd catch it with the shed grin

I think we've been lucky as we've had great neighbour in all the years we've lived here as well as in other places we've had. Many years ago when our children were small the youngest had a toy car he used to sit on and ride up and down the drive which did make quite a racket. The neighbour back then obviously got fed up of the noise and gave us some money to go and buy him a bike for his 3rd birthday (we were very hard up!). Such a lovely gesture instead of complaining.

dragonfly46 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:25:02

We have lovely neighbours as we all moved in about the same time.

Auntieflo Fri 06-Sep-19 22:21:26

We have lovely neighbours, mostly. The house next door is rented to a young couple and their baby. I wish they could buy it and stay, but I'm not sure if they will. The only problem, is that the fence between us, is rotten and almost falling down with the weight of ivy strangling it.
The only thing holding it up, is a dead tree.
The fence belongs to the landlord, and he won't do anything about it. Luckily we still have the original chain link fence, as our dividing line.

Alima Fri 06-Sep-19 19:16:42

What a lovely and heartwarming thread. A pleasant change!

Charleygirl5 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:11:09

I agree, that really is very kind. They both know you are on your own now and although nothing is impossible that was kind and helpful.

When I saw the heading I thought he had practically removed the hedge! You are lucky to have them. Mine in the rented house next door are also kind and lovely but I could do without the mattresses and bedding behind their shed.

PamelaJ1 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:10:48

Brilliant, I thought it was going to be a complaint about the hedge.
Glad to be wrong

Feelingmyage55 Fri 06-Sep-19 19:09:30

Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold. My neighbour came in today with offerings from the garden, both fruit and veg, then stayed for coffee. ?

Nanabilly Fri 06-Sep-19 19:08:57

How lovely !
It's great when you have good neighbours. I adore my neighbours.

tanith Fri 06-Sep-19 19:07:03

I have such lovely neighbours, my hedge is Ivy and was getting out of control even with my long reach hedge trimmer. My neighbour with whom I share the hedge arranged with another neighbour to bring his chain saw and between them they took over 2ft off the top.
They are so kind, I’ve just helped clear up and tomorrow we’ll take as much as we can to the dump.

The hedge is now much more manageable and I’ll keep it trimmed and I’m just so lucky to have such kind people supporting me. There’ll be a bottle of wine for them both and an apple pie.