Gransnet forums

Gardening

Anyone know what this is?

(11 Posts)
GrandmaRoo Tue 10-Sep-19 12:03:10

A perennial, grows in a shady border, a metre tall and flowers no matter what July-September. Doesn’t seem to be bothered by any pests either. The flowers are about 1.5 cms across and grow in groups of 5-6. I only have one and would love more, but I can’t identify it, and neither can my local garden centre. Any ideas, you clever folk?

midgey Tue 10-Sep-19 12:35:50

No idea but it is very pretty!

knickas63 Tue 10-Sep-19 12:39:05

Red Thunbergia Alata (Black Eyed Susan)

EllanVannin Tue 10-Sep-19 13:02:43

Birds spread a lot of these " visiting " plants. It's lovely.

glammanana Tue 10-Sep-19 13:04:28

EV have sent you a pm x

GrandmaRoo Tue 10-Sep-19 15:56:16

Thanks everyone! I’m pretty sure it’s not a Thunbergia, knickas63 - it’s got a solid stem with about 20 pairs of leaves and very bright orange daisy-like petals, and it’s not a climber. Thank you though. Thanks too, glammanana, will check out that site. I inherited the garden from a man who was a garden designer and I’ve got quite a few lovely plants that I can’t name. He was quite elderly and when I visited, he named all the plants as we walked round the garden and I tried frantically to write it all down. Missed this one though.
Thanks for your messages everyone x

MiniMoon Tue 10-Sep-19 16:12:31

It's a flower called Lychnis Chalcedonica, commonly called maltese cross.
Google lens told me and husband confirmed it.

Boudicca55 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:20:46

Hi, I think that it might be Lychnis fulgens.

Bubbe Tue 10-Sep-19 16:39:06

I agree it's a Maltese Cross. I grew them from seed many years ago and people always admired them. I loved them too. Have moved since so don't have them now.

GrandmaRoo Tue 10-Sep-19 17:01:58

Oh hurray, thank you! Will try to find them online. Perhaps RHS. Really grateful everyone x

BlueBelle Tue 10-Sep-19 17:02:35

I don’t know but I d like some
Got lots of black eyed Susan and its definitely not them
I ve never heard of Maltese Cross but it’s the right shape for sure
Beautiful it looks almost waxy