Gransnet forums

Gardening

Orchids

(24 Posts)
giulia Wed 11-Sep-19 07:14:08

How long do yours last?

I'm talking Phalaenopsis.

Have just worked out that I've had some of mine for four years now. They flower about every six months. Many of the original Leaves started dying off this year and the flower abundance is certainly decreasing. But I was wondering how long they can actually survive.

Is my innings a good one.

I ask because as I'm coming up to 75, am thinking it's not a good idea to buy any more - in the same way as I would not acquire a pet at my age!

tanith Wed 11-Sep-19 07:38:24

I have some that are 6/7 yrs old but they are looking a bit sparse now and flower as you say twice a year if I’m lucky. I did have a dozen or so brought home from my husbands firms reception area (they threw them out every 2 mths and replaced with new) he liberated them from the bin lol.
I now have 7 so they are gradually fading.
I’m looking to buy a couple of African violets for a change as I used to grow them but don’t seem able to find them.

Persistentdonor Wed 11-Sep-19 08:15:05

Gosh Giulia do hope you are not so poorly that 75 + 4 is looking like end of life...... sad
I know lots of very active people in their 80s, so I would say, if you love orchids, (and you are certainly good with them,) surround yourself with as many as you want. flowers

janeainsworth Wed 11-Sep-19 08:22:15

My orchids have flowered many times , with the aid of a bit of miraclegro.
I have a window in my utility room where they sit when they’re not in flower and then I bring them out again when they are.
They’re much better value than a bunch of cut flowers!

janeainsworth Wed 11-Sep-19 08:25:49

Some of mine have started doing this, ie growing a new leaf halfway up a stem.
Will it work if I pot it, do you think?

tanith Wed 11-Sep-19 08:33:55

I did try repotting one like this once it had an air root but it died but it’s worth a try.

Esspee Wed 11-Sep-19 08:52:30

I also have quite a collection of orchids, mainly Phalenopsis which flower repeatedly.
About once a fortnight I leave them soaking in room temp. water for a couple of hours or overnight then drain them. They are so easy to care for and cost as little as £5 a plant these days.
My preference is the small ones, so dainty and exotic.
In the past I used to buy a bunch of flowers every week, now it is plants, either for the garden or the house as I get long term enjoyment out of them.
giulia I recommend you continue collecting them and if you leave your collection to me in your will I promise to look after them.

Esspee Wed 11-Sep-19 08:58:42

janeainsworth. I haven't encountered new leaves on the flowering stem but I would try to get it to produce roots by surrounding the base of the baby plant with damp moss wrapped in cling film. Once you get roots into the moss cut off and transplant it. Good luck.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:59:55

Having had two orchids for some time (one was a gift - I really didn't want it, but I did my best!) I gave both away when we moved house last year. They were lovely when blooming and I really enjoyed that phase, but I just have nowhere to put them when they are in their dormant phase. I bought an artificial one for my aged DM (who can't cope with plant care any more) and I can say in all honesty that it looks 100% real.

Iam64 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:17:06

I hope your health is ok guilia. Don't let age stop you doing anything you love x

EllanVannin Wed 11-Sep-19 10:05:25

No matter how old you are, do what you want ( health permitting ) and get/buy what you want to also. Whatever it is it does give you a much needed lift and plants are certainly no exception. The joy of seeing them grow and come into flower is a tonic.

I got a rescue cat from the RSPCA when I was 74 and I'd mentioned this to the staff but they were quite positive in saying that you're never too old for an animal to care for which I thought was a lovely encouraging thing to say.

ninathenana Wed 11-Sep-19 11:21:38

I've had this about 4 yrs. It has never not had flowers.
It sprouted a baby about 6 mths ago which I have cut and potted. It has produced a stem with several buds but sadly I don't think they will open.

giulia Thu 12-Sep-19 08:53:53

The baby plants which grow out of the mother are called KEIKIs.

They should be cut from the mother when roots are about 2-3 " long, using a sharp knife.

Powdered cinnamon is an antiseptic to apply to cut parts.

It should then be planted alone in 4" pot or re-planted with its mother who releases suitable soil conditions for the baby for the first year.

Gradually increase amount of light. It will take 2-3 years to flower.

giulia Thu 12-Sep-19 08:56:17

Essepee Shall remember you in my will!!! Will have to transport from Italy though...

giulia Thu 12-Sep-19 08:58:34

Iam64 Not so much my health but my husband's. Can see myself not having much time for my nine orchids.

On the positive side, there might be a transferral back to good old England on the cards in a couple of years' time!

Septimia Thu 12-Sep-19 09:36:24

I've had one for several years and it flowers really well, so I bought another.

Can anyone tell me what to do about all the air roots that are growing out of the pot?

giulia Thu 12-Sep-19 11:31:34

Septimia Don't touch them. They are proof that your plant is healthy/happy. Spray them whenever you spray the Leaves.

janeainsworth Thu 12-Sep-19 11:34:45

Thank you for the advice esspee lisa and guilia, I’ll give it a go smile

Septimia Thu 12-Sep-19 13:04:22

Thanks, giulia, I'll do that. The plant certainly seems to be happy at the moment.

jessicaaaron Mon 21-Oct-19 13:32:05

i just got these pots for orchids to grow in my place the other day.
expertplantman.com/best-pots-for-orchids/
It also contained the help I needed to grow these gorgeous flowers. i recommend.

craftyone Thu 24-Oct-19 14:32:27

I have three, bought them when I needed decor to help sell my home. I put them in a cool place last winter and brought them in for summer. They have all flowered again. I LOVE these plants. I bought orchid pots and re-potted with special bark compost last april

Now what do I do at the end of this flowering session?

craftyone Thu 24-Oct-19 14:34:14

my pots are crazed glass, the roots can get light and they are heavy enough to not tip over

Callistemon Thu 24-Oct-19 14:45:21

I have a window in my utility room where they sit when they’re not in flower and then I bring them out again when they are.
Ditto! It's light but doesn't get hot sun.

I left one in water whilst we were away and wondered if it may have rotted but it was in full bloom when we came home.

Willow500 Thu 24-Oct-19 15:33:46

I have one that's about 4 years old and it's always flowering - I repotted it earlier this year as it was completely pot bound and it still seems happy. A smaller one which had blue flowers on it has now turned white - I'm not sure why. I've just moved them from the kitchen windowsill as the big one is in the way of the roller blind - same aspect in the utility room so hoping they won't throw a strop and die on me smile