Gransnet forums

Gardening

Slugs

(7 Posts)
annodomini Thu 19-Sep-19 23:32:52

All too often, I have found slugs on my kitchen floor. I think they get in through the gap in the masonry where the washing machine drains out. Mostly the recent visitors have been what I have now identified as Leopard Slugs which, according to the info on the net are not a threat to plants but are actually beneficial as they eat the slugs that do destroy our plants. So I will no longer wrap up my guests in kitchen paper and dump them in the bin, but carefully put them as far from my kitchen as I can manage in the dark! I hope they will repay my kindness by consuming their pernicious relatives.

Chewbacca Thu 19-Sep-19 23:42:27

Urgh! I can't bear slugs; can't even look at them. As for wrapping them up in kitchen paper. .... not a chance! I used to have a wood burning stove and found that sprinkling the wood ash was an excellent deterent against slugs. I miss that stove!

MissAdventure Thu 19-Sep-19 23:49:29

Oh I can't stand slugs.
They look like mobile turds.

Grammaretto Fri 20-Sep-19 05:54:17

We have these slugs and the common grey ones on the compost heap. They make fast work of the food waste and then the worms take over so after a year or so kitchen waste has become a rich black soil.
If only they would stay on the heap and not eat seedlings but despite that we have had some good crops this year.

Oopsminty Fri 20-Sep-19 06:36:08

I trod on a massive slug. Barefoot. Never really got over the trauma!

shysal Fri 20-Sep-19 09:48:50

The other day I found a slug stranded on my very dry path. I felt sorry for it and watered an exit route towards my plants!
It is not the first time I have done this, I must be dotty!

Maggiemaybe Fri 20-Sep-19 09:58:04

I’ve read recently that slugs have a very strong homing instinct. We used to have one appear in the kitchen regularly, and as DH used to sling it out of the front door it was possibly the same one coming back. grin

We had no more visitations after I put copper tape round the dishwasher the trail always led to. We found it that same night exploded into three gruesome blobs across the kitchen floor.