Gransnet forums

Gardening

Poly tunnel

(12 Posts)
jendean Thu 17-Oct-19 22:58:28

I have a big birthday coming up next year and would like to ask for a poly tunnel. Does anyone here have one, what do they grow in it and do you think it would be worth be worth buying?

Farmor15 Thu 17-Oct-19 23:33:45

We’ve had a poly tunnel for years. We grow tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn and lots of other things. One of the main uses is extending growing season. Things that will grow outside can be planted much earlier - potatoes, peas and beans.
It's also great for getting flowers started.

Grammaretto Fri 18-Oct-19 00:04:29

I don't have one myself but use the one at our community garden. It's great. I can grow so much in there away from the cold and rain. There is always something growing all year round.
It does need a bit of care ofcourse, watering and so on.
I grew cucumbers and salads mostly this year. Others have tomatoes and beans but that extra warmth (it's not heated) makes a huge difference.

BradfordLass72 Fri 18-Oct-19 08:00:02

Oh my goodness jendean don't you know...<looks around nervously to see if overheard> poly-tunnels are...<gasp, holds hand to pounding heart> plastic ??

Poly=polymer, a derivative of petroleum the evil entity, not, as you may have thought, Pollyanna.

How could you single-handedly ruin our planet in such a prodigal way when everyone on Gransnet is measuring their feet carbon footprint and never stepping on the cracks and weaving all their own spaghetti?

And to grow food too!!

Don't tell me you're growing luxury foods such as strawberries or courgettes - don't you know you should be living on mangle-worzels?

Send for a hair shirt and a book on self-flagelation immediately grin
grin grin grin

jeanie99 Thu 14-Nov-19 12:35:05

Love it BradfordLas
very funny smile

Callistemon Thu 14-Nov-19 12:45:40

BradfordLass grin

however - it is PLASTIC shock

How about a little greenhouse?

Bezelmoth Thu 14-Nov-19 12:45:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 14-Nov-19 13:12:44

I have one. Fourth year now. Almost 30' long. Can recommend First Polytunnels. They have a good facebook page too. Photo is the day we finished putting the skin on. Doors went on a year later!

I've grown range of veg but always strawberries in one of the beds. Late cauliflower is doing well. Beetroots still in the beds as spicy salad leaves.

I've got two benches in there and a propagator. Very useful. Installed an irrigation system last year. Not very expensive but is brilliant and economical with water. Saves my back too.

Take a look at this website. www.allotment-garden.org/polytunnel-growing/

Have fun

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 14-Nov-19 13:14:06

--- that should say "Beetroots still in the beds as well as spicy salad leaves."

Scaryscouse1 Thu 14-Nov-19 13:21:29

I have 2 - one large one for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuces/salads well just about anything you like really! Plus I overwinter my pots from home. The smaller one is 'My Living Quarters' as my allotment friends call it. I have table and chairs, plus my little stove and kettle and potting bench plus pots and compost. Have had poly's for at least 8 years. Wouldn't be without!

Scaryscouse1 Thu 14-Nov-19 13:23:23

By the way both of mine were presents - one for Christmas and one for a birthday!

Grammaretto Thu 14-Nov-19 13:37:50

I have just come home from the community garden polytunnel with an armful of spinach and a big bunch of parsley. The veg in my own garden outdoors by comparison is frozen.
We erected ours ourselves to save money. That was about 6 years ago. We do have to scrape snow off its roof sometimes but we love it and it is has served us well with something all year round. We have a water butt and that feeds into the PT water barrel
I would go for the largest PT you can afford!