Gransnet forums

Gardening

House Plants

(22 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 11-Nov-19 09:08:05

I want an indoor garden but can’t get to a garden centre.

Has anyone ordered house plants on line which didn’t arrive
damaged ? If so, from where ?

Auntieflo Mon 11-Nov-19 09:27:36

Morning Annie.
I don't have an answer for you, but, the company named Crocus, has a good name, and does Houseplants.
Good luck.

Liz46 Mon 11-Nov-19 09:29:35

How about going on Freecycle and asking if anyone near you has any plants that they don't want?

Parsley3 Mon 11-Nov-19 09:33:51

I have ordered plants from Parker’s. They are small when they arrive, but really healthy. Do you get home delivery from a supermarket? You can perhaps get plants that way? Good luck.

MiniMoon Mon 11-Nov-19 10:29:22

My husband gets his plants from Hayloft plants, they are always in good condition when they arrive.
Also, we've never had any complaints about the plants we've had from QVC.
DH bought Holly trees from QVC, they are super, and both the same size!

annodomini Mon 11-Nov-19 10:31:11

I have had a number of plants from various nurseries that sell through Ebay. Prices are usually competitive and plants are protectively packaged. So far, I have had no cause for complaint.

shysal Mon 11-Nov-19 11:10:19

What a lovely idea, Annie, hope you enjoy the planning and its results. Doing some propagating from some of the plants could be rewarding too.
I have always been delighted with garden and house plants purchased from idealworld.tv. I sometimes watch them on Gardening Bargains at Freeview channel 22 on a Sunday lunch time, although the presenters' non-stop talking irritates me. Possibly no more TV shows now until springtime
Also had no problems with any of the well known mail order companies.
www.idealworld.tv/gb/garden-hub

Anniebach Mon 11-Nov-19 11:12:02

Thank you all

I shall look at the sites recommended .

I can’t go out into my garden so want to bring a garden indoors

threexnanny Mon 11-Nov-19 17:02:03

I've had good plants from both Parkers and Hayloft as well.

Have you considered a terrarium? They are becoming popular again. You can buy them and plants too from Amazon.

GillT57 Mon 11-Nov-19 17:09:21

Highly recommend succulents Annie. You can plant them in anything interesting,and they are such interesting shapes and sizes.

Gonegirl Mon 11-Nov-19 17:11:31

Why can't you go out into your garden? Most people with agoraphobia can do that much.

Namsnanny Mon 11-Nov-19 17:16:59

Don’t forget about spring bulbs that can be easily delivered.
Hyacinth for Christmas, paperwhites for January Amaryllis for any time.
Plus lovely scent!

threexnanny Mon 11-Nov-19 17:23:58

Very true Namsnanny. I've planted Paperwhites for the first time in several years. They are already starting to come up. But my Amaryllis isn't doing anything yet.

Anniebach Mon 11-Nov-19 17:25:55

Gonegirl most people are not all people

Anniebach Mon 11-Nov-19 17:26:48

Silly me, I didn’t think of bulbs

GillT57 Mon 11-Nov-19 17:30:29

Bulbs are a great idea. A basket stuffed full of paperwhites fills the house with scent.

Cherrytree59 Mon 11-Nov-19 18:07:38

Annie an indoor mini spring garden would be lovely and something to look forward to, through the dark days.

Tete a tete bulbs , muscari, snow drops etc.

I know like me Annie,
you long for a spring daffodil or two daffodil daffodil

For this time of year what about a couple of amaryllis.
I had a red and a lovely pink amaryllis last winter.

Cherrytree59 Mon 11-Nov-19 18:09:50

Forgot hyacinths,! smile

Anniebach Mon 11-Nov-19 18:19:10

Cherry when I moved here i planted daffs near to the back door and front door , I will see them from my windows ?

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-Nov-19 18:27:06

Anniebach Freecycle will not be of much use to you because one is expected to pick up items unless you explain to whoever has the plants saying you have a problem. Some people are kind and will deliver.

Anniebach Mon 11-Nov-19 18:33:11

Charley you are right, a small town and many villages , there are things advertised from towns 30 miles away , the joy
of living in a rural area ?

Namsnanny Wed 13-Nov-19 00:26:23

threeXnanny … My Amaryllis can be temperamental!
I put mine on the boiler (on a plinth to stop it getting too hot!)
Even though my boiler is in the dark, they get started quicker.

The red ones I like to be in bloom for Christmas Day. So I always fret a bit that they will be past their best or the opposite! They're like my children really grin.