Gransnet forums

Gardening

electric propagator recommendations

(8 Posts)
craftyone Tue 31-Dec-19 11:22:06

I used to have one, it was big and had a variable thermostat and had sand on the bottom. I gave it away before I moved never thought I would be back into propagation but I am and want a variable thermostat propagator but as small as possible.

I bought a couple of tomato plants last season but they were not at all as good as the ones I used to nurture. I have ordered a very tiny wooden `greenhouse` just big enough to bring seedling on to harden them off. In the old days, 70s. it was airing cupboard and in and out the house on a daily basis but having the propagator and greenhouses made it so much easier. I have downscaled bigtime but my genes are horticultural and will always be so. It will be used every year

NanTheWiser Tue 31-Dec-19 14:48:03

I don't think you will find a small propagator with a variable thermostat craftyone. Such thermostats are expensive and usually found on large propagators and at a high price (I have several). Would not an ordinary heated one suit? Usually they raise the ambient temperature by a set number of degrees, and for general seed sowing should be suitable. Stewart is the most reliable make with plenty to choose from - have a look on Amazon.

craftyone Tue 31-Dec-19 14:51:35

yes thanks I will look. No doubt will have to lower my expectations but that goes with downsizing smile

Farmor15 Tue 31-Dec-19 21:25:54

www.garlandproducts.com/super-7-electric-windowsill-propagator.html
I have one similar to this, but bought in Aldi or Lidl. It fits on windowsill and is great for getting seeds started.

JackyB Tue 31-Dec-19 21:46:52

You should have said earlier. I cleared out a few (non-variable) ones when going through my parents'shed. Don't know what my sister did with them in the end. They hadn't been used much, if at all.

Resurgam123 Tue 21-Jan-20 08:25:22

I have tried them but the inside seeems to get very wet with condensation and they got mouldy .
Perhaps I never got it right.

craftyone Thu 23-Jan-20 07:44:43

I bought one at a very good price, a stewart premium 52cm variable control. Paid just over £60 and it came with several trays and pots. I am very happy with it, it is solid and I have found an empty garage shelf for it. I sometimes need 26c for certain seeds

NanTheWiser Thu 23-Jan-20 22:54:53

Glad you found one, craftyone!