Gransnet forums

Gardening

Indoor Garden

(8 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 15-Jan-20 17:43:32

I spoke recently about making an indoor garden .

Please, any suggestions for house plants that tolerate central
heating . Trial and error is proving expensive !

Sansevieria, Cactus, Maranta no problem, big disappointment was losing a Peace Lily. I have some bulbs.

midgey Wed 15-Jan-20 18:04:32

Peace lilies don’t like direct sunlight, they just burn and die. Try another Annie and perhaps put it on the floor.

J52 Wed 15-Jan-20 19:07:11

Spider plants and tradescantia come in different varieties and tradescantia can be pale green or red/green. As long as they have some light and water they do well.
Christmas cactus, Schlumbergera also do well in heated houses, but hate direct light.

Anniebach Thu 16-Jan-20 12:44:10

Thank you both. I had forgotten spider plants. I will try again
with a Peace Lily, it is a lovely plant.

Auntieflo Thu 16-Jan-20 16:24:10

Annie, do try again with a Peace Lily.
I bought one, way back, as a poor little thing, in need of TLC.
It has thrived, and I keep it in our enclosed porch. No direct sunlight, and usually quite cool.
Good luck.

MiniMoon Thu 16-Jan-20 16:58:00

Just bought a new dracaena plant for our living room. It's different to the one we already have, in that it has broader, darker leaves. They stand on the floor by an east facing window. I water them about once or twice a month. They virtually look after themselves.
I had a massive Christmas cactus for years. It lived in our hall, right beside a radiator, and flowered prolifically. Eventually I gave it to my daughter.

KatyK Thu 16-Jan-20 17:08:01

I am hopeless with indoor plants. They always die. However, I have a beautiful peace lily. I have had it for about 15 years and it is thriving. I have it on a small table against a wall in the living room. It is a miracle it's so happy. I water it when I remember and don't do anything else to it. I am pleased to have it so healthy as it was bought by a friend who died aged just 52.

Anniebach Thu 16-Jan-20 17:32:22

Thank you. I have two problems, very small one bedroom bungalow, kitchen not even room for a small kitchen table, hall very small too, so has to be the living room, I have a corner area , no direct sunlight, but central heated room, I
really want a Peace Lily so will buy another and place it in the
hearth, no fire !

Thinking of succulents ?

I so miss gardening ,sob