Gransnet forums

Gardening

First signs

(18 Posts)
Tangerine Fri 24-Jan-20 22:13:32

My neighbours have been mowing their lawn.

Dollymac Fri 24-Jan-20 22:12:07

I have some tulips coming through and the clematis is beginning to show signs of life and creeping up the fence again
Isn't it lovely to see?

Daisymae Fri 24-Jan-20 21:20:00

My garden is starting to sound full compared to some! I do have a garria that has some lovely catkins. It's probably too big for its space but I am leaving it alone for the time being. Just wish it would stop raining for a bit!

Daisymae Fri 24-Jan-20 21:17:57

I wonder if vermin have taken up residence under the decking? Have you tried blocking up the holes?

rafichagran Fri 24-Jan-20 17:58:50

Sorry posted on wrong thread thought I had started a new one.

rafichagran Fri 24-Jan-20 17:57:55

Can you give me some advice. My neighbour's have had decking done in their garden. I have a high fence between my garden and theirs, but ever since it went down its seems we are getting big holes under the fence. My partner has also seen rats in the garden not previously there.
Can decking encourage vermin ? Is there any way I can stop this happening ? We have tried blocking the holes but they seem to get through. I dont want to go down the poison route but may have to. Any other ideas would be welcome.

annodomini Thu 23-Jan-20 21:17:32

Snowdrops are flourishing and bulbs are coming up. The winter jasmine has been out for weeks and my Cornus Mas shrub's little yelllow blooms are making a nice bright splash of colour at the end of the garden. It will be in bloom now for about six weeks.

Baggs Thu 23-Jan-20 20:30:37

We have hazel catkins, not yet open, and a few scraggley daisies (because of wind and rain). Also 1 primrose is flowering (also somewhat scraggily), as it has been since the autumn. There are hundreds of primroses in the garden but the others are just sending up leaf shoots, as are snowdrops. This time last year a few yellow crocuses had started to flower. No sign of them yet this year.

tanith Thu 23-Jan-20 20:24:15

I have Winter Jasmine, primroses, snowdrops, hellebores and this morning I noticed my potted white Azalea is just budding lots of crocus and daffy shooting too.

toscalily Thu 23-Jan-20 17:58:07

Has been foggy, grey & miserable but, I have five daffodils in flower now, first one opened between Christmas & New Year. Snowdrops small & dainty look so pretty and lift my spirits every time I go in the garden.

BBbevan Thu 23-Jan-20 17:34:10

Camellias in bloom, also winter honeysuckle. Primroses, daffodils, snowdrops, broadbeans all up and thriving. Spring is nearly here Hurray

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jan-20 17:12:46

Dull and damp here today but the snowdrops are out, many other bulbs peeping through and the cyclamen are striking. The scent of sweet box fills the air everywhere - much appreciated at this time of year.

midgey Thu 23-Jan-20 17:02:52

My magnolia has buds.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 16:22:02

We have daffodils in bud already and snowdrops in bloom. Haven't looked for aconites. They usually follow the snowdrops.

Daisymae Thu 23-Jan-20 16:17:07

Taken years to get the snowdrops even a bit estai. I do love the tiny ones, the do look like little drops. I am in the south too and usually prune in mid February, but just felt like getting on with it today. Fingers crossedsmile

silverlining48 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:14:20

Take care with the rose pruning, it might still be a bit early daisy. We live in the south and it hasn’t been really cold so far but usually wait til mid feb, just in case it gets colder.
We have had snowdrops since early December, they are lovely.

Septimia Thu 23-Jan-20 15:44:39

Snowdrops here, aconites usually in full bloom first (admittedly haven't checked for them), daffs poking through the ground and leaf buds on the roses. Lots of birdsong, too.

Daisymae Thu 23-Jan-20 14:24:15

Pruning roses today and noticed a few signs that spring could be on the way - camelia about to burst forth, snowdrops,band Daphne in bloom. Any other signs?