Gransnet forums

Gardening

seed potatoes

(10 Posts)
craftyone Tue 28-Jan-20 18:30:16

I only have space and need for a few potato plants and charlotte are my absolute favourites. I was thinking maybe only 6 seed potatoes, so I did the rounds in my car a few days ago. I saw 3kg for £7.99 in a local hardware store, 3kg for £3.99 in a farmers store (but not charlotte).

I was never going to pay £7.99, last stop was an old fashioned nursery, they had 33 varieties loose in sacks. Found them, bought 7 charlottes, now chitting, for £1.20. I am delighted. Does anyone know if the big garden centres sell seed potatoes loose, for next year as the nursery is going to turn into a petrol service station

J52 Tue 28-Jan-20 18:39:32

I have bought them in loose in garden centres, as well, but I also think I have seen them loose or in small packs in Wilco’s.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Jan-20 19:15:42

I bought some from Aldi last year, they had a number of different sorts of varieties to choose from. About £1.40 I think. They all grew!

M0nica Wed 29-Jan-20 08:11:23

I buy them loose from my local garden centre, they are well known for their loose seed potatoes and must have a hundred varieties.

However they are a local independent garden centre, not 1 of a chain.

Greyduster Wed 29-Jan-20 08:27:02

We were at a big garden centre yesterday and I noticed they had loose seed potatoes but didn’t notice what variety they were. It’s a long time since we bought seed potatoes but always bought them loose.

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 08:27:30

The cheaper shops often sell smaller bags.
That said, I have resorted in recent years to using non- seed potatoes, just buying health-looking Charlotte potatoes from the supermarket to plant. I know this is frowned on as there is a risk of infections, but so far I have had great results, taking first place two years running with what I've grown from them in the village show.

Fennel Wed 29-Jan-20 12:36:23

I'm just guessing, but would think that any potato left long enough in favourable conditions will start sprouting.
I once read that those sold for eating in supermarkets have been sprayed with something to stop them sprouting.
The best new potatoes we've ever had were the result of throwing some dried up ones into the compost box.

nanaK54 Wed 29-Jan-20 13:08:57

Our nearest large garden centre sell loose seed potatoes.
So lovely to be discussing this, makes me feel that spring is just round the corner

3dognight Wed 29-Jan-20 13:12:59

Have you a local allotment society shop?
We have, and their seed potatoes are superb quality, in fact I have about twelve kilos of different sorts coming at end of Feb. Our shop is non profit making, and anyone can go, not just us allotmenteers.
Might be worth a trip?

craftyone Fri 31-Jan-20 18:32:07

Thanks, good to know that garden centres have them loose. I just bought 3 potato pots and need to go and buy some more tomorrow, would like to get 3 different varieties, second earlies I think. I am raring to get started in the garden, wish the soil would dry a bit