Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hellebores

(17 Posts)
jo1book Wed 19-Feb-20 10:00:23

Just discovered this sweet little plant that has flowered all over winter in pots by the front door. What do I do with it in the Summer? Do not have a lot of border space (courtyard situation) so maybe re-pot and put in shade. You tell me.

shysal Wed 19-Feb-20 10:08:13

I have one Hellebore in a pot. It flowers for most of the year, so I would suggest you keep yours in a pot where you can enjoy it. The only thing I do to it is cut off the old leaves in January, which stimulates it to produce more flowers.

jo1book Wed 19-Feb-20 10:32:51

Thanks shysal. Will do. Such a lovely plant you have.

craftyone Fri 21-Feb-20 20:23:02

I LOVE hellebores, they like semi shade in summer. I have at least 15 plants all in full flower. It is essential to cut the old leaves off every year, I do mine as soon as I spot buds and I compost the leaves

jo1book Fri 21-Feb-20 22:02:05

So impressed by the way mine have flowered through the winter. Such plucky plants.

grannyticktock Fri 21-Feb-20 22:22:19

Mine have been an absolute joy. I bought them as a tray of "rescue" plants about 12 years ago, and they just go from strength to strength, with minimal attention from me. Whenever the rain stops I go out to enjoy them and marvel at them.

Curlywhirly Fri 21-Feb-20 22:34:52

I know nothing about gardening, so please excuse my ignorance; I planted two helebores and they are a beautiful addition to a bare winter garden. They are the same colour as yours shysal. However, my word, don't they self-seed (if that is the correct term) like mad? My border is like a thick carpet of tiny green shoot, there are literally hundreds of them!! Last year I removed all the shoots not knowing what they were; this year, I have removed lots, but left a few, and intend to put some in pots. They certainly seem to like my garden!

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 23:05:40

I had a couple of the Easter flowering ones (Lenten rose) and they seeded everywhere; some I transplanted and some I planted up in pots and gave away.
However, the flowers were rather dull compared to yours shysal.

Perhaps we should buy more of the Christmas flowering ones. to give colour for longer.

jo1book Sat 22-Feb-20 09:22:31

A friend pots hers in a hanging basket for winter. She says it is lovely to look up into their little faces hanging down.

gillybob Sat 22-Feb-20 09:30:03

I discovered this one in a pot of “dead stuff” I bought last year . The garden centre was selling them off really cheap so we bought it for the pot . I was so happy to discover this plant flourishing under the shade of a bay tree last winter .
It’s even better and brighter this year . smile

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 09:31:59

That's even better, gillybob, having a surprise plant which is doing so well!

Lisagran Sat 22-Feb-20 13:11:49

I have lots of Hellebores in the garden - love them!

jo1book Sat 22-Feb-20 17:28:48

Lisagran

OOh, Where did you get the yellow one from?

Lisagran Sat 22-Feb-20 19:18:23

www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/163663/Helleborus-x-hybridus-yellow-flowered/Details

From a local garden centre, jolbrook

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Feb-20 19:27:05

I lost my yellow one, but I’ve potted up loads of seedlings and am waiting to see what colours they come.. I suspect all the common one or the black one which likes my garden.

Liz46 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:54:49

We have some like Shysal's. I used to dig up the seedlings and give them away but now I just scrap them. They are pretty but too invasive.

Fennel Sat 22-Feb-20 20:09:13

They're just about my favourite plant - so many varieties. We have one in our back garden, planted by the last owner. It has been flowering for weeks, in spite of the awful weather.
I've got a photo online of another one which grows along streams, I'll try to get husband to post a photo.