Gransnet forums

Gardening

Jasmine Officinalis

(11 Posts)
Alexa Wed 19-Feb-20 11:35:25

I have one that is well sheltered by the tall hawthorn into which it grows. This winter the jasmine kept its green leaves. I am so surprised. Is this unusual?

Esspee Wed 19-Feb-20 19:40:27

The summer Jasmine is deciduous, the winter one evergreen (at least in my garden). If it is normally not evergreen perhaps this mild winter is responsible.
Just today my OH commented that he hasn’t had to wear gloves so far this winter.

Callistemon Wed 19-Feb-20 20:12:34

It is usually deciduous but, yes, it could be because it is mild.

My pelargonium in a pot outside is flowering

Fennel Thu 20-Feb-20 12:19:43

While on this subject, what is the tree that has started showing blossom around here, before the leaves emerge? NE England.
Just pinky-white small flowers on an otherwise bare tree. Very pretty.
I thought maybe almond, but we're too far north for that?

Shrub Thu 20-Feb-20 12:49:39

Fennel it will likely be one of the Prunus family. Maybe Prunus subhirtella autumnalis.

Beechnut Thu 20-Feb-20 13:04:20

My Jasmine can’t make up its mind. Some leaves have dropped off the others have stayed put.
My pelargonium is in flower too Callistemon but it’s in the greenhouse.

jusnoneed Thu 20-Feb-20 15:15:00

Winter flowering Cherries are what we call them Fennel, a Prunus. I walk past one on my way to work and it's covered in pink blossom at the moment.

curvygran950 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:57:58

An avocado stone grew in the compost heap in the summer, we transferred it to a pot in a sheltered spot and forgot about it. I remembered about it today - it’s grown ! Plus it’s very much alive and well ! Let’s hope there’s not going to be a frost after all it’s efforts .

Fennel Thu 20-Feb-20 18:14:28

Thanks to Shrub and jusnoneed.
It really cheers me up to see them smile.

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 09:41:42

Our neighbour has one of those trees, Fennel.
I keep meaning to ask her the name of it.

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 09:44:11

The pelargonium is in a sheltered spot against the house wall, Beechnut, away from these winds, but it is facing east. Another one has buds.