Gransnet forums

Gardening

Brown patches on outside petals of ( cut) roses

(4 Posts)
curvygran950 Wed 19-Feb-20 19:30:43

I’m not sure if this is really a gardening question, but with all the knowledgeable people on this forum , someone might come up with an answer!
I was given a beautiful bouquet of cream/ white roses for Valentine’s Day .A few of the roses now have brown patches on the very outer petals . I’ve peeled them off and they look much better . They haven’t been exposed to outside temperatures while I’ve had them , but I was wondering if they might have been over chilled at some stage ? It is a very good and generous bouquet including white lilies etc. Any ideas ?

Greyduster Wed 19-Feb-20 20:02:09

I think I read somewhere that these petals are guard petals that protect against frost before the flower is cut, and can be safely removed. I am happy to be corrected if anyone knows differently.

Chewbacca Wed 19-Feb-20 20:12:40

It's mainly the white, cream or very pale pink roses that are affected by brown patches on the outer petals. It's usually caused by them being in stressful conditions, such as variance of temperature or when the rose bud has been allowed to get mouldy when it was first cut. The only thing to do is to keep removing the affected outer petals and try to keep them in a stable temperature.

curvygran950 Wed 19-Feb-20 23:05:32

I think it’s probably due to incorrect storage/ handling/stress en route to the customer. I imagine they’ve clocked up some air miles- it’s a miracle that they are in as good condition as they are !
Roll on summer and there will be no real need to buy imported roses .