Gransnet forums

Gardening

Looking after my rose

(8 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 07:03:16

I would use David Austin feed - get it on line and then give it a good mulch - instructions on the David Austen web site. Water it well throughout its first year.

What it it called kitty and what is its colour.

I have quantities of roses??? far too many but I adore them.

Grannytomany Fri 10-Apr-20 03:32:42

I use Toprose fertiliser twice a year. You can get it from Amazon.

I gave then a feed a couple of days ago and will give them another one when they're about half way through flowering.

SueH49 Fri 10-Apr-20 00:30:24

In my experience roses are pretty forgiving. We had some along the front of our house in very narrow (12 inch) beds surrounded by concrete and the ground under them fell away to under the house. They were open to all elements and managed to survive with little or no attention other that pruning twice a year. We built a verandah which eliminated all but the early morning sun and all the natural water and because I was slack they were not watered regularly but were still pruned. Very occasionally they were given a feed. Those roses actually improved and thrived for over 20 years.

crazyH Fri 10-Apr-20 00:21:27

Oh Doodle, that made me laugh ??

Doodle Fri 10-Apr-20 00:16:39

I know it’s late and I’ve had a glass or two of ? but I was just browsing GN before going to bed and I could have sworn the title of this thread was How to look after my nose ?. blush

Bikerhiker Thu 09-Apr-20 23:57:59

Banana skins around the base. Cover with some soil. Water.

cornergran Thu 09-Apr-20 06:37:55

I sprinkle some slow release rose feed (it looks like small multi coloured balls) on the soil around it, hoe in gently just to cover, then add a layer of some suitable compost. If you’ve no rose food then a general multi purpose would do. Some years I forget - the roses forgive me. smile. Others will have a better approach I’m sure, keep it simple here.

kittylester Thu 09-Apr-20 06:28:25

We have never had much success with roses but we have a new one planted to climb up the garage wall and aim to get it right this time.

The instructions say to feed it now so, what should we use?