Gransnet forums

Gardening

Problem with Clematis Montana

(21 Posts)
Sparkling Sat 25-Jul-20 20:09:53

Mine is absolutely gorgeous, after flowering I cut it right down to about 12”, which contradicts the advice I was given, it is 40 years old and gets better. It is in full sun from noon onwards.

Esspee Sat 27-Jun-20 17:19:03

Such a vigorous variety really needs to be in the ground.

gulligranny Sat 27-Jun-20 17:12:14

MaizieD, thank you - I realise that the Montana in a neighbouring garden is actually growing along a trellis, which is probably why it's been so full and vigorous. I will cut mine right back. and see what happens. Is now a good time to do it?

MaizieD Fri 26-Jun-20 11:44:47

Cut it back to ground level gulligranny!

It'll regrow very vigorously I promise you! They're indestructible. My OH practically murdered mine last autumn but it's racing away now.

You may not get any flowers next year but it will be a lot lower for a year or two.

To keep it low for longer you'd really have to give it a lower support, like an arch or a trellis.

gulligranny Wed 24-Jun-20 14:43:02

I have exactly the same problem as the OP, but my Montana is planted in the ground and has grown up through an apple tree. Only flowered at the top this year, lots of bare branches at the lower end. Can I cut it right back in the hope that it will re-grow from the base?

jeanie99 Wed 24-Jun-20 14:39:47

Lemongrove
Forgot to say your Montana looks amazing.
I'll move mine about October, I'll have to cut it back because it has long branches but fingers crossed.
Maizie
Would the summer flowering be ok in my position, depends on the time of year but mainly it would be in shade until the sun moves round to the afternoon.then it is just the top.?

MaizieD Wed 24-Jun-20 14:05:01

As I said, jeanie,you could put another clematis there. The summer flowering ones are cut back each spring, then grow vigorously and flower the same year. You wouldn't have a bare stem, flowers at the top, problem that you get with the montana. They flower later in the summer

Lots here

www.gardenia.net/plant-variety/clematis-late-large-flowered-group

www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=109

Furret Tue 23-Jun-20 22:23:05

Agree with lemongrove

lemongrove Tue 23-Jun-20 22:02:23

That sounds better Jeannie hope it does well, they are pretty tough clematis.
Thanks Puzzler and Sparkle ?

jeanie99 Tue 23-Jun-20 21:57:20

Thank you everyone so much for all the suggestions.
I have a large pergola which I had thought about using as a support for the Montana and I could take it out of the tub replanting in the soil.
I'll have to think about another plant for the space where the Montana is.
I have a 12 foot frame which I thought the Montana would look really good growing on it.
The frame is disguising the fence which runs down the side of our property. I hate looking at the fence from our kitchen diner windows it's much nicer with plants to see.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Jun-20 10:49:54

lemongrove What a treat your Montana is!

Puzzler61 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:00:45

*dig not dug

Puzzler61 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:59:57

lemongrove your Montana is splendid!
Mine was pretty too this year, but it is planted deep in the ground and watered but not fed. I dug chicken pellets and a bit of gravel in the border at beginning of Spring each year.

MaizieD Tue 23-Jun-20 09:12:00

I think it's just too rampant for a tub and a restricted place. My initial thought was to cut it to ground level and let it regrow, but it won't flower on the new growth until the next year.

So,on second thoughts, I'd have it out and, if you still want a clematis there, get one that is cut back early spring and flowers on its new growth. There's a big choice and they've larger flowers so are more spectacular.

Having said that, I love a montana in the right place, but you have to keep at them to keep them under control (I have one that's about 15 ft up a tree, it just needs something to grab and it's off..)

Do you have some sort of frame for it?

grannysyb Tue 23-Jun-20 08:48:20

We have a winter flowering clematis and a couple of others. We give them a feed in March of special clematis food, its amazing what a difference it makes.

lemongrove Mon 22-Jun-20 23:37:25

It needs something to climb on, a tree would do or a sturdy pergola, arch or trellis.as you can see, the flowers don’t start from the ground, it’s natural for a montana to do what yours is doing.

lemongrove Mon 22-Jun-20 23:34:03

A montana shouldn’t be planted in a tub really, they should be in the ground as they are so vigorous.Can you plant it somewhere? Roots need some shade ( a few large pebbles) and loads of water and feeding.

midgey Mon 22-Jun-20 23:32:28

When a Montana is happy it’s pretty rampant!

jeanie99 Mon 22-Jun-20 23:30:40

Thank you for the response.
I planted in the tub with the roots in the shade and top growth in sun, I thought this would suit.
What would you feed with, I only gave a feed before flowering.

Aldom Mon 22-Jun-20 12:07:40

Montana like shade and sun. I'm wondering if you feed your montana. Clematis are very hungry plants, and also like regular watering. No need for pruning, only a tidy up when necessary. Good luck with yours.

jeanie99 Mon 22-Jun-20 00:08:00

I have a Clematis Montana growing in a pot for about 3 yrs now. I re-potted it last year and it is growing quite vigorously.
My problem is the leaves and flowers are only on the top of the plant at a run of about 10 ft and so few I can count them.
The branches up to the top are completely bare of leaves or flowers and it doesn't look good.
It is planted in a tub on the walk way down the side of the house(4 foot wide) so the plant just gets the sun late in the afternoon.
Not sure what I can do about this, anyone have any ideas.
I don't particularly want to cut it down or move it from where it is.