Gransnet forums

Gardening

Courgettes and a warning

(53 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 12:40:27

I have just received a warning on my local fb gardening group that there have been some rogue courgette seeds sold by Fothergills that have caused tummy problems
Before you cook your home grown courgette taste it with your tongue if it gives off a bitter taste do not use it it could give you food poisoning
I thought this was worth passing on to any gardeners on here

--

EDIT from GNHQ: For more information here is a link to Fothergills' recall statement: www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Product-Recall-MRF/#.XwiKZZNKiCR

Chewbacca Fri 10-Jul-20 18:44:48

Oddly enough, the packet of lettuce seeds that I bought from that well known budget supermarket A**i, has completely overwhelmed me with lettuce. Pretty much 100% germination I think. And they cost 49p a packet.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 19:26:16

My radishes have done nothing nor the spring onions
I Ll seriously have to think where I buy from next year

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 19:31:24

The free lettuce seeds which I received from Fothergills have all germinated.
The pigeons love them.

Grammaretto Fri 10-Jul-20 19:38:45

The lettuce seed I bought cheap from Lidl have been amazing. I gave away seedlings as well and give them away to anyone who admires them.

Alishka Fri 10-Jul-20 19:49:48

A time ago I had this prob. with Fothergills Zucchini courgettes tooshock
Even now,using shop bought ones, I take off a slice and taste test it. Cooking the fruit doesn't lesson the bitter taste either.Interesting to read that the problem's still aroundhmm

etheltbags1 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:52:28

My slugs should get poisoned!

GrannyLaine Fri 10-Jul-20 19:56:47

BlueBelle, Elegran
This may help

Alishka Fri 10-Jul-20 20:00:37

lol@etheltbags1 Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work like thatgrin P'raps the bitterness spurs them on to find some tender lettuce or something to take the bitter taste away?smile

Elegran Fri 10-Jul-20 20:16:41

Nandalot The post above from Grannylaine clearly shows the number 5 next to the barcode . The 1 isn't next to it, it is next to the the date, so if your packet is like hers, it should be all right.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Jul-20 20:29:06

This is my packet I can’t see a one anywhere

Nandalot Fri 10-Jul-20 20:37:58

That’s strange, Bluebelle. My packet is just like the one GrannyLaine posted, (thank you GL),but with an H where the l is so I presume it should be all right. However, if they taste bitter I shall not eat!

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 20:46:17

Lick first.

Apparently!

Babs758 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:03:32

I tried growing spring onions from supermarket ones. Sliced off the white bulb with the roots. Wrapped in damp kitchen paper for a few days and then planted in compost. They are growing really well. Also took cuttings from some greek basil from a pot bought from Waitrose, left in water for a week whilst they rooted and then planted in compost. Now have loads! Currently trying to from coriander from seed From a seeds bought for cooking. Only three plants so far. But I have never don any of this before so it is fun finding out what works and what does not.

25Avalon Sat 11-Jul-20 11:42:08

Thanks for raising this BlueBelle. Just been on another forum and lots of people complained to Mr. F about a week ago. This lead to the recall. Not all seeds in the batch will be affected so they suggest tasting the courgettes on other plants. Apparently it is extremely bitter even when cooked. The symptoms of poisoning are stomach cramps and D&V.

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 11:52:08

I bought some seeds online from a company I thought was Dobbies, but it wasn’t!

The French beans grew into runner beans. Only one cucumber germinated. Lettuce seeds failed to grow, ditto their carrots. I complained to Dobbies and a very nice customer service person pointed out their company had two ‘b’s in their name.

Re-ordered from another company and everything flourishing. Allegedly some naughty companies ‘recycle’ leftover seeds and packaging. Allegedly

flaxwoven Sat 11-Jul-20 12:20:28

My hubby has been doing the garden since retirement 6 years ago. He bought Fothergills flower seeds and 80% failed to germinate this year, so he ended up getting plug plants from the garden centre. This is the first year nothing germinated and we don't know why. He also ordered some plug plants online from Thompson & Morgan and most of them died within a few days! We keep some wild flower beds in the garden and there are very few bees this year.

Carooline Sat 11-Jul-20 12:39:34

Maybe these seeds are Frankinstein GM? Just a thought. Are they labelled as GM free?

Elegran Sat 11-Jul-20 12:57:28

Cross-fertilisation between different plants of the same species growing near each other happens naturally and frequently, Carooline If you grow sweet peppers and chilli peppers near one another, the seeds can be hybrid - giving you quite a surprise if you thought you were growing a sweet pepper from saved seed to your cooking but it turned out to be hot! That is how new varieties of plants are discovered or produced.

GM just speeds up and regulates the process by doing some test-tube artificial insemination at a cellular level, and introducing elements from other species into the mix.

Jenna2 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:15:28

Thanks for the warning.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jul-20 13:42:26

Well I ve just had my first Mr Fothergills courgette for my lunch so if you never hear from me again it’s been lovely talking to you all ?

GreenGran78 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:47:56

Babs758 I got lots of tomato plants from one slightly over-ripe tomato. I just chopped it up and put pieces in a pot of soil, with just a sprinkle over the top.
They are good healthy plants now. I hope that they grow some tasty fruit.

Sgilley Sat 11-Jul-20 19:51:46

Thanks Bluebelle. Had this posted to me from my son’s mother in law. My son and his in laws have all suffered a really nasty dose of food poisoning from eating bitter courgettes.

Seakay Sun 12-Jul-20 15:36:01

Flaxwoven: the odd weather conditions in early spring seem to have affected a lot of insect pollinators, many are noticeably absent or in fewer numbers and it's lead (amoung other things) to cases of courgettes and cucumbers having flowers but not setting many fruits.

AllotmentLil Sun 12-Jul-20 21:27:22

Poor germination of courgettes here too so was really excited to see one tiny one this evening - will definitely be licking first as can’t remember where the seeds were from. Thanks Callistemon. And BlueBelle!

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jul-20 21:30:47

Well my golden courgette from Mr Fothergills was fine very nice in fact but a lot of people on the gardening page I m on on fb seem to be having strange things germinating a packet of seed bell peppers grew into dwarf beans and someone else’s leeks turned into petunias ???