Gransnet forums

Gardening

My roses have peculiar centres

(7 Posts)
narrowboatnan Mon 13-Jul-20 15:18:08

This is my first go at a post of my own, so bear with me. I have a miniature rose that a friend gave me for Christmas five years ago and some how it has survived my care all this time, which, for me, is nothing short of a miracle! This year, however, I have several blooms with strange centres. They look as though they have something growing out of them. I’ve looked on Google and asked friends with roses in the garden but can’t find any answers. Pinning all my hopes on you, my fellow GransNetters. Pictures of three of the worst affected attached, one of which also shows some tiny black creatures that have taken up residence on them this year. Are the bugs and the strange middles connected?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:37:45

That’s got a name and for the life of me I can’t remember.

I’ll keep thinking.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:44:21

Could be Robins pin cushion.

I’ll keep looking

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:47:27

Got it

Fasciation!

geekesse Mon 13-Jul-20 23:05:03

Phyllody? See here: ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/GARDEN/PLANTS/DISEASES/rosephyllody.html

Grannytomany Tue 14-Jul-20 04:53:33

Yes, I think it's phyllody too. Definitely not fasciaton which affects the whole of a flower.

narrowboatnan Tue 14-Jul-20 13:37:36

Wow, thanks for the link, Geekesse it certainly looks like Phyllody. Never come across it before, but at least now I know that the flowers will be normal next time round. I guess it was the heat wave we had a couple of weeks ago that caused it. The blooms that are opening up now seem perfectly ok.

Thanks to all of you who responded, it’s much appreciated.