Gransnet forums

Gardening

Harvesting courgette flowers - help

(5 Posts)
kittylester Sat 18-Jul-20 11:56:18

Just that really. Younger son has got into vegetable gardening this year but cant find out the best time to harvest his courgette flowers to eat.

Thank you.

lemongrove Sat 18-Jul-20 12:11:58

I thought you just pulled them off as soon as they opened out? Have never been able to bring myself to eat one though.

kittylester Sat 18-Jul-20 12:42:40

I think I read you should only eat the males ones. Slightly concerned about how you tell the difference!! blush

Carillion01 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:52:56

Hello kitty, as soon as the flowers are big enough to take some stuffing, pick them. The courgette will still keep growing. Last year I put Brie, onion and basil in, as the stuffing then dipped them in thick batter and deep fried them. Delish.
I ended up freezing about twenty flowers, just picked. They thawed well and I stuffed those with chopped mushroom and minced pork.
Crazy weather since March in Brittany has meant for a disappointing courgette crop this year and yesterday I used the first four, small courgettes to make a quiche. I chopped the flowers up and added them to the lettuce and tomato salad.
In a salad they’re not as peppery as nasturtium flowers but are a bit more citrus.
Hope your son is enjoying his veggie growing. I’m obsessed!
Lemon, I think you’d like the battered courgette flowers. X

Carillion01 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:54:56

Crossed post kitty, the female flowers are much bigger but as far as I know you can eat both, although the female flowers don’t last as long on the plant and need to be picked quickly.