Gransnet forums

Gardening

Filling my borders

(9 Posts)
LadyGracie Tue 28-Jul-20 09:03:28

Philadelphus, spirea, lilac, potentilla, Abelia, euonymus, hypericum, this is just me having a quick look round my borders, they are a work in progress. I almost forgot my absolute favourites weigela and hydrangea.

Greyduster Tue 28-Jul-20 08:43:32

Erysimum Bowles Mauve flowers it’s head off from Spring through to early winter and makes a decent size for colour in a border. Bees love it.

LullyDully Tue 28-Jul-20 08:25:34

Penstemons give good colour and last until the frost.

Sparkling Tue 28-Jul-20 07:39:26

Thank you everyone, I have tried a couple if the above but they didn't flourish, I will plant a couple if spirea, a weigela, as well as an acer.

winterwhite Sun 26-Jul-20 11:14:24

Hebes? Flower long into the autumn, don't clash with anything else, compact, hardy in most places.

Sparkling Sun 26-Jul-20 10:39:32

Than you both for your suggestions.

Nannytopsy Sat 25-Jul-20 20:58:48

Myrtle, lavatera ( cheap and cheerful!) winter box

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 20:53:37

Acer? Beautiful coloured foliage, especially at the back end of summer/early autumn.
Spirea.? Lots of lovely pink or white blossom through summer.
Ceanothus or California Lilac? Dense deep blue flowers.

Sparkling Sat 25-Jul-20 20:02:00

I have two borders around a lawn, approximately 50 ft x 3 ft each one, got rid of a lot of weedy shrubs and when all the bedding plants are finished, I would like shrubs, not to rampant about 5 ft height, to lessen the work load that will cover these borders. The soil is slightly acid, I have 3 Hydrangeas and big rosealready, any suggestions gratefully received.