Gransnet forums

Gardening

Advice 're an evergreen climber, please!

(12 Posts)
phoenix Sun 13-Sep-20 14:44:52

Hello all,

I have a large planter/raised bed, 360cm long, 80cm wide, 51cm deep. It has no bottom, the idea being that eventually the plants will root down into the soil beneath.

I am planting a clematis Montana "Spring Joy" later this week, with a clematis koreana Amber due to arrive next weekend. The bed will also have a climbing rose, Papi Delbard, arriving in November.

Is there something evergreen, with winter interest that I can plant with these, that can be trained up and along the trellis, that will still allow the other plants to thrive, and not "overwhelm" them?

T.I.A!

tanith Sun 13-Sep-20 15:30:11

Winter flowering Jasmine it has beautiful yellow flowers and also smells lovely in Winter

Esspee Sun 13-Sep-20 15:36:41

I have recently planted a clematis “winter beauty”. I also have winter flowering jasmine.
Would either of these fill the bill?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Sep-20 15:40:39

Yes there are a couple of evergreen winter flowering clematis, but they do need sun.

Mind you at just over 1 metre long it doesn’t leave much room after you’ve planted the others?

phoenix Sun 13-Sep-20 15:59:04

Well, there's a coincidence! I've just ordered Winter Beauty, but have that earmarked for another planter, to go with Etoile de Hollande.

Wondering if pyrocanthus might work?

Wish my beloved step father was still alive, he would know what to do.

I'm quite a novice gardener, and Mr P is no help, bless him, doesn't know lobelia from labia (well, not in the garden centre).

When we had some wonderful plants in pots on the deck (before a heavy snow did for thrm) they had to have names to help him know which plant I meant:

Freda Fatsia

Trevor tree fern

Walter windmill palm

Percy Phoenix palm

Colin cordyline

Etc.

phoenix Sun 13-Sep-20 15:59:47

Just to add, garden is South facing.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Sep-20 16:49:54

Hahahahahaha, Phoenix you're priceless.

MiniMoon Sun 13-Sep-20 17:03:34

We have a pyracantha on a North facing wall. The flowers in spring are very pretty and it has berries galore in the autumn.

MaizieD Sun 13-Sep-20 17:58:25

Pyracantha is very vigorous, though. Do you want to have to be perpetually cutting it back?

Your clematis montana will take over the area in next to no time, too..

How about something lower growing, like hellebores (Lenten Roses), at the base of your climbers. They're green all the year round, flower from late January and wouldn't need so much cutting back.

phoenix Sun 13-Sep-20 18:04:19

Thanks to all who posted, it's appreciated!

MaizieD that particular Montana is not quite as vigorous as others, allegedly !? Time will tell!

phoenix Thu 17-Sep-20 16:55:44

MaizieD hellebore, great idea.

But I would still like an evergreen climber that would give me a bit of a head start while I wait for the clematis and roses to get going.

Something that wouldn't mind being hacked carefully cut back for preference. There's a (I think) Virginia Creeper at work that often gets a hair cut and never seems to suffer from it.

Any thoughts?

phoenix Thu 17-Sep-20 18:55:42

Hello?