Gransnet forums

Gardening

Erm, perhaps a bit on the rampant side??

(51 Posts)
phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 16:38:17

Hello all,

On Monday I planted a honeysuckle, Graham Thomas, in a large raised bed.

A friend has said it will go and below ground as well as above and will spread roots all over the place.hmm

He's suggested I dig it out, put it in a pot, then sink the pot into the bed to limit it a bit. (Rather like you can with bamboo)

Any thoughts?

TIA.

downtoearth Sat 26-Sep-20 20:28:00

whitewave

Just a stab in the dark.grin

phoenix Sat 26-Sep-20 18:36:33

Saggi sounds like a good plan! I've got to leave space for my climbing roses.

Grandmama thank you for the reassuring post.

Grandmama Sat 26-Sep-20 18:33:11

Never had a problem with honeysuckle. The one in the back hedge is rampant in the spring/summer but easily cut back. As for roots - they are not pernicious at all.

Saggi Sat 26-Sep-20 18:33:03

I’ve got mine up against back fence ...it rapidly got to 5 feet high and I tied the sides out to an seven foot span....keep on top of the pruning....the aroma is worth the effort. Mine is in ground.

sharon103 Sat 26-Sep-20 17:16:05

My neighbour has a frame with climbing honeysuckle right next to our shared fence. It's been there for quite a few years. There's never been any shoots growing my side, ever. I just get a few branches peep through the pence panels. I just snip them off.

phoenix Sat 26-Sep-20 15:57:26

Thank you all for posting!

Graham is already making himself at home and going great guns!grin

The clematis "Spring Joy" is finding its way, and the evergreen "Winter Beauty" is going well.

I don't know how anyone could say that my post on the Gardening thread could be anything other than innocent! wink

The word "rampant" seems to bring out certain thoughts in certain people! grin

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Sep-20 14:59:28

Graham Thomas is a native honeysuckle so will always feel at home.

I’ve just bought a honeysuckle to replace my GT that was destroyed by huge winds. It’s called Rhubarb and Custard and only grows 6’x3’. I have changed the area and needed something that casts less shade.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Sep-20 14:55:49

downtoearth

At least he hasnt confused a clematis with a clitoris

How do you know??

bridie54 Sat 26-Sep-20 14:52:42

Am so glad i saw this thread, for 2 reasons, i needed a cheer up and certainly have had it, (smile) and also Graham Thomas is a honeysuckle i have noted after researching them to find a really good scented one. Good to hear it will fit the bill.

Phloembundle Sat 26-Sep-20 11:38:01

The vines will spread everywhere and root where they touch the ground, which makes it so easy to get cuttings. But as another person said, they pull up really easily if you don't want them.

SparklyGrandma Sat 26-Sep-20 11:00:16

Rampant clematis I have just bought one, Clematis armandii, to cover an ugly fence. It grows fast.

Its tip has grown 7 inches since I planted it, using netting as a support to tie it into.

b1zzle Sat 26-Sep-20 10:51:37

Graham Thomas Honeysuckle will definitely not go anywhere it's not wanted whether it's under or above ground. The neighbour sounds like a friend of mine who kept saying his garden was full of horseradish. It wasn't. It was sedum. Oh dear.

Callistemon Fri 25-Sep-20 13:55:23

?

downtoearth Fri 25-Sep-20 13:31:11

Rampant Ivy ,sounds like my neighbour

Feelingmyage55 Fri 25-Sep-20 11:32:24

Splutter ???

Mapleleaf Fri 25-Sep-20 11:27:36

Stop it ladies, I’m trying to drink my coffee ???!

Callistemon Fri 25-Sep-20 11:15:27

Wow, Bluebelle!! That's lovely.

I have one I want to save but it's in amongst a lot of rampant ivy which has to go.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 25-Sep-20 09:37:44

I am crying with laughter at this thread?

BlueBelle Fri 25-Sep-20 09:27:25

I have a beautiful big honeysuckle but I prune it to the size I want each year and it’s never gone anywhere else

downtoearth Fri 25-Sep-20 09:20:49

At least he hasnt confused a clematis with a clitoris

Doodle Thu 24-Sep-20 23:29:50

Goodness phoenix whatever has Arthur Sanchez done to you.?
Was MrP getting confused between a garden centre and a lady garden when he got his lobelia and labia muddled up. ?

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 23:14:39

Damn! I typed Arthur Acanthus!

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 23:13:32

I think Arthur Sanchez will need his clump covered

That made me choke! grin

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 23:10:42

Well, I think Arthur Sanchez will need his clump covered if we have a hard winter.

But at least Mr P can now identify and correctly name a clematis.

I was a tad worried after his confusion over lobelia and labia in the garden centre.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 23:06:51

Well, I think Arthur acanthus will have to have to have his clump covered if we have a hard winter.

I'm glad that Mr P can now recognise and correctly name a clematis, after his confusion over lobelia and labia in the garden centre.