Gransnet forums

Gardening

Branch Loppers

(11 Posts)
ExD Sun 04-Oct-20 14:30:53

I'm not quite sure what to call them, but I'm looking for some of those long(ish) handled snippers for cutting small branches from shrubs.
BUT - I am waiting for carpal tunnel surgery and need something lightweight yet efficient and easy to handle and grip.
I'd already been on the waiting list for 10 months when the country locked down, having had two operations cancelled at the last minute, so my hands are pretty useless now and I just can't manage my old ones. I do understand my problem is not life threatening but my shrubs are getting the better of me.
Any recommendations?

SpringyChicken Sun 04-Oct-20 14:54:33

We bought one of these this year, wished we'd done it years ago. Perfect for reaching to the back of borders to prune perennials and modest woody stems such as roses. Very lightweight. The trigger handle does not require a lot of strength to operate.
darlac.com/product/dp110t-telescopic-snapper/

Grandmamaoftwo Sun 04-Oct-20 16:25:16

October’s ‘Gardeners World’ put Loppers (not telescopic) to the test, you’d probably need a lightweight pair. They also rate Darlac.

Chewbacca Sun 04-Oct-20 17:15:43

I bought some of these Fiskars poppers from Lidl a few weeks ago. The sawing blade is detachable and has it's own storage box for safety. The extendable loppers are activated by the pull chord, not the scissor action of the handles. Very lightweight and easy to use. Can't remember exactly how much they cost but definitely under £15.

Chewbacca Sun 04-Oct-20 17:16:07

LOPPERS not poppers!

MerylStreep Sun 04-Oct-20 17:30:41

Chewbacca
Hilarious ? Poppers on a GN gardening thread.

BlueBelle Sun 04-Oct-20 18:08:30

I have some of the telescopic lengthening ones my Dad gave me years ago I find them really useful and use them a lot
I don’t find them heavy but perhaps with poorly wrist !

Chewbacca Sun 04-Oct-20 18:27:23

I know MerylStreep, soon as a spotted it I immediately thought of the thread about proof reading your posts before hitting send! Too late! grin

ExD Sun 04-Oct-20 21:37:53

smile poppers!

ExD Sun 04-Oct-20 21:38:43

.... and thanks for the suggestions - so quick too!

Hetty58 Sun 04-Oct-20 21:41:03

ExD, in your situation, I'd strongly recommend that somebody else should be doing the pruning for now. Even long handled 'razor sharp' loppers require quite some effort to use.