Gransnet forums

Gardening

It's going the wrong way ?

(16 Posts)
phoenix Wed 14-Oct-20 15:08:07

Hello all, and good wishes.

My clematis Winter Beauty, planted a few weeks ago, is going great guns smile but in the wrong direction confused

I have put a wire leading to the trellis where I want it to go, but the little b**ger is hell bent on going the other way!

Any advice, or should I just let it go for now?

Thank you.

Jaxjacky Wed 14-Oct-20 15:17:29

Difficult to say..how ‘tall’ is it? I have a summer one that was doing this, gently tied twine around it up to the trellis in about three places to encourage that growth. Once it had tendrils firmly onto the trellis, carefully removed the twine. ??

phoenix Wed 14-Oct-20 15:26:45

Thank you Jaxjacky.

It's only a baby, about 3 feet at present.

Jaxjacky Wed 14-Oct-20 15:58:27

Looked it up, beautiful.

EllanVannin Wed 14-Oct-20 16:52:25

These are beautiful clematis's and remind me a bit of lily of the valley. It'll probably do its own thing until it's established then you can guide it to where you want it to go.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Oct-20 17:06:38

At the moment Phoenix it's still getting established and will only start growing up the lines or trellis you've provided next Spring. The one that I planted this last Spring put lots of growth around the base, almost lije anchors, and only started to twine itself up the trellis by late summer.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Oct-20 17:08:51

One thing you could do is to the a piece of soft garden twine to the trellis and lead thatndoen to the strongest "runner" and gentky loop that around it. Don't pull it too tight, just enough to support it. It will then start to cling to the twine and lead back too the trellis. It's a bit like training a dog! grin

Greyduster Wed 14-Oct-20 18:38:41

Mine has consistently wanted to take its flowers through next door’s fence this year, leaving me with the leaves to look at! I had to give it a stern talking to and take the same tack as Chewbacca!

cornergran Wed 14-Oct-20 18:53:39

Is it heading to the sun? A climber planted against trellis here regularly look next door as that’s the direction of the sun, twine and persistence bring it back again for a few months. Sadly an ongoing process in spite of my nagging, a red card (last stage before compost) has been threatened. grin.

Chewbacca Wed 14-Oct-20 18:58:38

I've just re read my post and it's absolute gobbledygook! Why don't I ever proof read before I hit send? confused

Esspee Wed 14-Oct-20 18:58:57

Do remember to twine it round the support in an anti clockwise direction. All plants naturally twine anti clockwise and head towards the sun.

NfkDumpling Wed 14-Oct-20 19:08:36

Clematis can be very annoying. But beautiful. It took me ages to persuade that common small pink one who's name I forget to grow over our pergola. It's got the message now but it took two or three years of careful entwining. Bits would break off too easily.

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 19:24:24

Chewbacca

I've just re read my post and it's absolute gobbledygook! Why don't I ever proof read before I hit send? confused

Do you know - I didn't even realise! I read it as I understood.

And I'm normally very quick at picking up discrepancies in online books etc.
Must be the glass of wine I had (first one for a week).

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 19:27:16

Do be careful twining it, phoenix unless it's one of the more hardy types.

I twined one carefully round a trellis and it 'died'. I mulched it, ignored it and found it started growing again about a month ago, too late of course.

phoenix Wed 14-Oct-20 19:52:00

Thanks all!

My friend/ neighbour popped round, and we both gave it a jolly good talking to!

Will see what happens...........

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 19:58:46

As others say, it’s probably chasing the sun, plants do!?
You will have to carefully wind it round the wire where possible.