Gransnet forums

Gardening

Planting trees

(31 Posts)
Auntieflo Sun 29-Nov-20 19:11:16

I see that Country File has been advocating that people plant trees.
That's all well and good, as long as the tree that you plant is suitable for the area that it will grow in.

There has been a thread on here recently about neighbours and trees.
They can be wonderful, but they can also be a liability.
So, please think before you plant an oak tree.

Fennel Tue 01-Dec-20 11:47:31

Kinsilyou've reminded me about the rowan tree I planted in the small front garden of the house we lived in in the 90s. We sold that house and returned to the same town 20 years later - they had dug up the rowan shock. and even dug up 2 miniature acers that I'd planted in the back garden.
Oct.-Nov. is supposed to be a good time to plant trees. Before the frosts.
ps are rowan berries poisonous?

Millie22 Mon 30-Nov-20 21:04:55

chocolate pudding
Hmm lovely name
Your orchard sounds fabulous and such a good idea. Fruit trees are so beneficial to many insects and birds.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:19:18

I should have used ** not ^^

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 18:18:52

Onthenaughtystep1
That's disgraceful!
Those cherry trees are beautiful.
Is there a campaign against their felling?

I know that some trees are felled because they are grown as a crop and woodlands need to be managed, but we need more woodland trees planted.

Dinahmo Mon 30-Nov-20 18:12:24

As well as planting trees I'd like to make a please for mowing less. If grass is left to grow it's likely that there'll be some wild flowers coming up. If not, you could plant seedlings.

Many years ago, before we moved to Suffolk, I saw a programme about Miriam Rothschild and she talked about wild flower meadows and cutting paths through them. She advised the P of Wales at Highgrove. TV programmes, like Monty Don's are increasingly showing wild life gardens. One of the benefits are an increased number of butterflies.

grannypiper Mon 30-Nov-20 18:01:17

Paddyanne I think the cut down 23 million going by the number of laden timber lorries that speed through our tiny village from day break til dusk every single day.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Nov-20 17:46:10

V3ra

Whitewavemark2 HS2 will be cutting straight through our two local country parks.
In one, the motorway already crosses the park on a flyover and the trainline will go over the top of the motorway.
It's going to be in the migration path of the swans and the park rangers are very concerned about the potential death toll.
It's a nightmare.

Nightmare is right.

No one cares or listens any more

grannysyb Mon 30-Nov-20 16:27:58

We have five fruit trees coming in December for ou allotment.

chocolatepudding Mon 30-Nov-20 15:57:13

In 2012 we decided to plant an orchard on a 1 acre meadow across the river from our house in East Anglia. Instead of going to a nursery we bought 20 fruit trees from the East of England Apples and Orchards Project. Within 2 years we had apples to pick. Please if you are interested have a look at the website
www.applesandorchards.org.uk/

V3ra Mon 30-Nov-20 12:10:52

Whitewavemark2 HS2 will be cutting straight through our two local country parks.
In one, the motorway already crosses the park on a flyover and the trainline will go over the top of the motorway.
It's going to be in the migration path of the swans and the park rangers are very concerned about the potential death toll.
It's a nightmare.

rubysong Mon 30-Nov-20 11:31:14

DH and I look after the area at the back of our church. We have just planted a copper beech tree there, which I have been growing on from a seedling I found. It has been in a succession of pots for about five years and hopefully we will see it grow to a large tree. I also have two horse chestnut trees in pots, grown from conkers. The plan is for our grandchildren to plant them (also in the church grounds) when we have our golden wedding in 2022.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 10:13:53

Does your tree have a number and can you identify it?
I can't remember, sorry V3ra, they each got a numbered certificate which I framed and gave to them. The number may indicate which tree it is but it would be lovely if your DGD's tree was near and you could go and watch its progress.

Our self-set holly tree has berries on it for the first time this year, Whitewave. She must have a male caller somewhere!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Nov-20 06:48:55

V3ra

Callistemon there is a Woodland Trust wood on the outskirts of my daughter's town so I was thinking of dedicating a tree for my granddaughter. Does your tree have a number and can you identify it?

We live in the pathway of the proposed HS2 railway and there are a lot of woodland areas under threat locally.

If you made a balance sheet and placed a value on all ancient trees and wild life being lost it would far out weigh the cost of that wretched train.

I can’t bear to think about it.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Nov-20 06:46:49

Just ordered a male holly tree. My female is bereft of berries☹️She needs a mate. Hopefully it will cheer her up this summer?

V3ra Sun 29-Nov-20 22:31:04

Callistemon there is a Woodland Trust wood on the outskirts of my daughter's town so I was thinking of dedicating a tree for my granddaughter. Does your tree have a number and can you identify it?

We live in the pathway of the proposed HS2 railway and there are a lot of woodland areas under threat locally.

Callistemon Sun 29-Nov-20 21:38:47

V3ra

If you haven't got room in the garden, you could always sponsor a tree through the Woodland Trust.
Sadly we've just taken down three apple trees and a cherry tree, mainly to appease a neighbour.

I've bought trees for all my DGC, a tree is planted and they get a certificate.

It's a good idea to buy trees to be planted in the National Forests or other places if you can't plant one in your garden.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/plant-a-tree#:~:text=Why%20plant%20a%20tree,over%20the%20next%2010%20years.
www.nationalforest.org/get-involved/plant-a-tree
www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/plant-trees/large-scale-planting

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 29-Nov-20 21:35:16

Here in Glasgow Bellahouston Park has a beautiful cherry tree avenue which comes into it’s own at the end of May.
Glasgow Council has given Scottish Water permission to chop it all down to run some water pipes. Absolutely disgraceful.

Jaxjacky Sun 29-Nov-20 21:08:23

Millie22 the number of mature trees, including oaks, they’ve chopped down near us for housing is criminal.

Millie22 Sun 29-Nov-20 20:41:14

There's no good reason for chopping down the trees near me it's just to make the road wider.

fiorentina51 Sun 29-Nov-20 20:33:46

There is often a good reason for chopping down trees. In our area, the forestry commission have thinned out some sections of forest in order to improve the habitat for wildlife. In particular taking out large swathes of non native conifers and recreating some of the 80% of heathland lost since the 1800s.
It's amazing what grows on the forest floor once you let some light in.
I hasten to add they have also planted replacement trees in other areas, concentrating on native broadleaf. I was part of a work party planting over 2000 trees last year.

Grany Sun 29-Nov-20 20:32:00

I will plant a blue fir tree after Christmas in a big tub as have a small garden have a dwarf lilac tree growing in the ground a buddleia in a big tub so adding to collection am do my bit for trees ? ?

mokryna Sun 29-Nov-20 20:20:37

I didn’t like the name ‘mini forest’. When I was small we would use, wood, copse or spinney depending on the size.

Millie22 Sun 29-Nov-20 20:17:53

I wish they'd stop chopping down the trees we've already got never mind planting new ones. Mature trees take up gallons of water and would help so much in areas prone to flooding but still they chop them down. Having said that it's good to see some new ones planted.

Kinsi10 Sun 29-Nov-20 20:06:40

I am having a Rowan tree planted this week. I had one in my last garden (I moved house 18 months ago) and I have missed looking at it ever since. Can't wait.

Casdon Sun 29-Nov-20 19:41:04

In fairness they were encouraging people to plant anything at all, as every plant will help the environment, which I would hope all of us would support - they certainly weren’t suggesting we should plant oak trees on our boundaries with our neighbors?