Gransnet forums

Gardening

Tiger worms

(7 Posts)
gardenoma Sat 01-May-21 12:39:22

I used to have a wormery but found it too much hassle, so I emptied everything into my regular black compost bin and let them get on with it, keeping fingers crossed!
The worms have thrived and even work their metaphorical socks off during the winter! I try not to use onions or citrus peeling but otherwise most things go in. As Kali2 said, just roughly pick the little workers out when bin is full of when you just take out a bucket for the garden.

Kali2 Sat 24-Apr-21 13:54:41

Use them in my composts and they are great- when they are finished with one bin, they come up near the surface- so I scoop them up and put them in another bin. Also pick them one by one when I empty a bin which is ready to use and re-locate. The multiply and do a brilliant job.

midgey Thu 04-Mar-21 21:35:23

I have a wormery with tiger worms, I put all the waste from the kitchen (apart from fat and meat) in and I end up with worm juice and lovely rich compost. The worm juice I water down and use it as feed. You can buy wormeries on line or you could build your own, the worms you can buy on line. I think they are well worth the minimal effort.

rubysong Thu 04-Mar-21 21:32:37

Anyone with an active wormery or compost heap would be able to give you some and you would soon have lots of them.

Polarbear2 Thu 04-Mar-21 21:17:40

It’s ok they’re native. They’re used in wormeries but I’ve discovered they are also ok in composters. ?

Blossoming Thu 04-Mar-21 21:02:46

No, can’t say I’ve heard of them. If they’re not a native species isn’t there a danger of them becoming invasive?

Polarbear2 Sun 28-Feb-21 14:13:07

Hi. Has anyone used tiger worms in the compost and if so is it worth it?? Thanks.