Gransnet forums

Gardening

Quelle catastrophe!

(18 Posts)
grandMattie Sat 17-Apr-21 11:56:56

The frosts may be disastrous for the French winegrowers, but it has been pretty awful for our British fruit growers, especially the cherry and pears farmers! The apple flower a bit later so may be spared.
Pity the poor honey bees for whom the weather has been too cold to get out,

Aveline Sat 17-Apr-21 11:52:48

It must be a very worrying business. Vines at the mercy of the elements. Poor growers.

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 11:50:11

I'm guessing that fire method in the photo is very traditional and goes back years.

Witzend Sat 17-Apr-21 11:35:09

A BiL has a place in Burgundy where it can get very cold in winter anyway - the first time we visited was just after Christmas and it was well below zero, so I do wonder how bad these latest frosts must have been.

We usually buy NZ whites and Chilean reds, but I dare say a shortage of French wine will bump up the prices of the others.

jusnoneed Sat 17-Apr-21 11:17:38

What a shame for them, mother nature brings us down to earth with a bump sometimes.
I don't drink French wine, much prefer Aussie or Californian.

The only thing here that's been knocked back a bit are the over wintered broad beans, not looking very happy at the moment but hopefully they will recover.

Jaxjacky Sat 17-Apr-21 11:03:36

Welshwife we used to ‘live’ in the Dordogne (6-8 months year for four years) the frost is disastrous for the vineyards and the fruit growers.

Welshwife Sat 17-Apr-21 10:19:39

Here in Dordogne the wine growers were lighting bonfires between rows of vines in an effort to keep away the worst of the frost. It does work to some extent but we have had several nights of cold weather. It is not just the wine industry that will be affected - there will also be less of various types of fruits - cherries possibly.
Each time we get late frosts it ruins our cherry crop etc. Heavy rain as the fruit begins growing can cause the young fruit to rot on the trees.
The amount of wine allowed as duty free is diminishing due to Brexit but I am unsure of the new amounts.

V3ra Sat 17-Apr-21 09:45:42

That's bad news all round for the French wine producers, very sad.
My husband usually brings me a good supply back from France when he goes on his annual golf trip in September.
Last year's trip was rearranged to Shrewsbury, and this year they've decided to go to the Isle of Wight.
No wine for me again ☹️

MerylStreep Sat 17-Apr-21 09:14:06

I’ve lost one Fratilaria impiriallis. Thankfully it’s only one.
It’s my own fault. I should have paid more attention to the weather.
www.peternyssen.com/fritillaria-crown-imperial-william-rex.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj7TPuOmE8AIViLbtCh3mKQUgEAQYBSABEgJkI_D_BwE

Aveline Sat 17-Apr-21 09:12:53

New World wines for me.
Elliane my sommelier son tells me that 'Eiswein' is very special. Can't say I fancy it much!

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 09:12:37

Don't ever let dogs eat frozen or rotten grapes either. It can kill them apparently.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Apr-21 09:09:33

Well I've lost my geraniums due to frosts !

kittylester Sat 17-Apr-21 09:06:29

Luckily my wine is from Germany! wine

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 09:02:15

That's really interesting Aveline. I have just read up on Eiswein producers and the process of fermentation etc. No wonder it is expensive! Sounds very sweet.

Aveline Sat 17-Apr-21 08:52:29

Is ' Eiswein' not highly prized?

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 08:21:07

Esspee

Oh my, I’m ashamed to say my first thought was should I stock up before prices rise.

Yes, with that and Brexit we are doomed! I think it is particularly the Burgundy Dordogne area.

Esspee Sat 17-Apr-21 08:06:29

Oh my, I’m ashamed to say my first thought was should I stock up before prices rise.

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 08:03:20

At least a third of French wine production worth almost £2billion in sales will be lost this year after raredevastating frosts.
What a sad but beautiful picture of how cruel nature can be.