Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden Compost

(32 Posts)
Esspee Tue 18-May-21 08:30:36

I have bought the same Verve compost from B&Q for many, many years but this year it looks very different and I am unhappy with it.
I planted seed in it and a grey cobwebby film coated the surface of the seed tray. I have used it up in tubs mixing it with the remnants of last year’s and my homemade compost so now need to buy more.
I am hoping that some other keen gardeners will be able to recommend a product to replace my once favourite general purpose compost.

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-May-21 13:21:34

Compost does sometimes have wool in it. I think you can actually buy "wool compost".

MaizieD Mon 24-May-21 12:55:17

FlexibleFriend

I used Verve this year and its a bit peculiar with lots of sticks and bits that look like wool. None of the seeds planted germinated although I got lots of mushrooms /toadstools. The plug plants seem to be ok. It's far to lumpy and I will avoid it in the future.

It must have been a different batch from the ones I bought. Mine has been absolutely fine. Seeds germinated, young plants growing on as they should. Absolutely no sign of fungi.

I think that those of you who have had problems should complain to B & Q about it.

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-May-21 12:49:28

I used Verve this year and its a bit peculiar with lots of sticks and bits that look like wool. None of the seeds planted germinated although I got lots of mushrooms /toadstools. The plug plants seem to be ok. It's far to lumpy and I will avoid it in the future.

Thebeeb Sun 23-May-21 23:05:01

My usual is Miracle Gro but I was really disappointed this year. It just wasn’t the same with lots of twigs and bark in and a kind of white mould. Challenged them about it but didn’t get anywhere. Seeds and plants not as good looking and healthy as they usually are. Very disappointed.

Washerwoman Sun 23-May-21 22:31:56

I have just ordered some more Westlands New Horizon peat free.It is all I will use now. And everything seems to thrive.I use liquid seaweed to feed extra hungry plants.I wish the garden centres would hurry up relaxing or at products faster.

Esspee Wed 19-May-21 06:58:27

Coffee grounds are good for digging into garden soil too rubysong. Many coffee shops and Waitrose are happy to recycle this waste by giving it to customers.

rubysong Tue 18-May-21 23:42:52

Jacks Magic is made from peat. I save the tea leaves from used tea bags to add to the garden. It is a bit like peat. (We do drink quite a lot of tea!)

Esspee Tue 18-May-21 22:47:11

Callistemon. If I had poor germination rates with all of my seeds one year I would be thinking the growing medium might be to blame.

Callistemon Tue 18-May-21 18:36:14

John Innes contains some peat
As far as I can find out, Westland compost does too although they do a peat free range, as mentioned above.
Beth20 - have you tried the peat free Westland Horizon?

Why is the ban on peat based compost taking so long to be implemented? Not until 2024.

A mix of manure, home made compost and garden soil works well for more mature plants.

Seedlings seem to germinate in just good garden soil conditioned with home made compost.

Callistemon Tue 18-May-21 16:03:41

We buy Westlands or John Innes too and look out for offers at the garden centres.

P.S when you see the conditions in which seeds 'in the wild' germinate you begin to get quite unfussy as to what to use for starting them off indoors grin

And how come the desert blooms when it rains after 10 dry years but my out-of-date by one year lettuce seeds did nothing?
Sod's Law
In fact, all last years seeds were disappointing.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-May-21 15:32:49

Esspee, MaisieD actually said they had cut out most of the peat.

Esspee Tue 18-May-21 12:56:17

BBbevan I know of councils which allow locals to collect compost free of charge but I live in Glasgow and have no idea where our garden waste ends up.

Katie59 Tue 18-May-21 12:49:40

Commercial growers do not use recycled compost for raising plants, there have been several very costly compensation cases because of contaminated product.

For seeds it’s wise to use the best available, once the plants are strong they will probably be OK in most general compost.

BBbevan Tue 18-May-21 12:44:32

Our local recycling centre collects garden waste, fortnightly. This is turned into super, and cheap compost. Perhaps you have a similar system near you.? Your local council website will tell you.

greenlady102 Tue 18-May-21 12:21:55

Esspee

Wow, thank you so much everybody. I am going to see which of your recommended products are available to me locally.

MaisieD thanks for the explanation that the B&Q compost has been reformulated to be peat free. Just seeing the fungus over my seedlings makes me feel that I should no longer buy any from B&Q.

Gransnet is great for recommendations. ?

again probably mushroom spores and harmless.

greenlady102 Tue 18-May-21 12:21:07

Calendargirl

Peasblossom

We also had some bought compost that bred mushrooms amongst my house plants.

DH was cross, he said it should have been heat treated or similar to kill off all the ‘bugs’.

Its not bugs, its mushroom spores! Spent mushroom compost is sold to compost producers to use as an ingredient so that its not wasted. Its good stuff, just pick off the mushrooms if any appear.

Trisha57 Tue 18-May-21 12:21:02

Another vote here for Jacks Magic.

3dognight Tue 18-May-21 12:12:28

See if you can go to your local allotment society supplies shop.

Ours even sells to the public at reduced prices.

They will usually have a bag open so you can see what it’s like.

They would not sell an inferior product
To serious gardeners as nobody would buy it. With compost bought in the supermarket it’s more about profits than quality I think.

Esspee Tue 18-May-21 12:00:44

Wow, thank you so much everybody. I am going to see which of your recommended products are available to me locally.

MaisieD thanks for the explanation that the B&Q compost has been reformulated to be peat free. Just seeing the fungus over my seedlings makes me feel that I should no longer buy any from B&Q.

Gransnet is great for recommendations. ?

jusnoneed Tue 18-May-21 11:49:02

My OH has bought Jacks Magic for the last couple of years, very happy with it. His brother also uses it.

Fleur20 Tue 18-May-21 11:47:00

Westland Jacks Magic has been consistently the best multi compost for the past 5 years in my experience. A lot of others.. including brand names seem to have gone downhill.

MaizieD Tue 18-May-21 11:03:46

I've bought the big compressed bales of B & Q general purpose compost for many years and it's been absolutely fine (for all those being sniffy about 'cheap compost').

They have reformulated it this year to cut out most of its peat content. I've bought that, too and it has also been fine. It's just a bit more coarse than usual.

I think the OP has been unlucky.

P.S when you see the conditions in which seeds 'in the wild' germinate you begin to get quite unfussy as to what to use for starting them off indoors grin

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-May-21 10:59:20

If it doesn't actually say "peat free" shysal it won't be. Even organic compost is apparently not peat free (unless it says so).

We really shouldn't still be digging up peat in my opinion (though I really do miss the smell of peat fires in Ireland to be honest).

Septimia Tue 18-May-21 10:56:17

Wool compost. Expensive but at least environmentally friendly. I bought some this year for the first time and it seems fine.

Calendargirl Tue 18-May-21 10:54:47

Peasblossom

We also had some bought compost that bred mushrooms amongst my house plants.

DH was cross, he said it should have been heat treated or similar to kill off all the ‘bugs’.