Gransnet forums

Gardening

Where are the Bees hiding..missing them!

(16 Posts)
Kali2 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:13:07

it's been so cold and wet, for bees, butterflies, etc. Gorgeous warm day today and they are all out in the garden, at last. But what a tough time they've had so far.

CraftyGranny Wed 09-Jun-21 19:01:59

The Bumble Bees with the fluffy white bottoms have taken residence in my attic this year, together with two pairs of house sparrows who are feathering their nest for the second time this year.
The Bumble Bees usually vacate their home/nest in July, and are no trouble at all.

H1954 Wed 09-Jun-21 18:50:50

I've got loads of them on my blackberry blossom! It is a joyful sight to see and the sound of them busily collecting pollen is awesome!

jusnoneed Wed 09-Jun-21 18:38:25

Lots on the tiny flowers on my Contoneasters, I was surprised as the flowers are so small.
We have had a few people asking over the last week on local FB pages for someone to collect bee swarms from their gardens.

Callistemon Wed 09-Jun-21 17:58:17

My sprouting broccoli went to flower (yellow flowers) and the bees loved it.

Redhead56 Wed 09-Jun-21 17:15:46

My veg patch has been very entertaining with all the varieties of bees here.

Mollygo Wed 09-Jun-21 17:11:50

They’ve emigrated across the Tamar. Rob needs new hives.

Cunco Wed 09-Jun-21 17:06:18

Callistemon: Yes, I noticed yesterday that bumble bees were all over the purple flowers in my garden. I don't remember the name of flowers so I cannot identify. Wasps often seem to like a laurel which makes life interesting when I am trimming the laurel hedge.

Callistemon Wed 09-Jun-21 16:59:14

I've rescued several from my conservatory.

My lavender isn't out yet but there are plenty of other flowering plants they seem to like.
Bees do seem to love purple flowers, Ellianne, although they love the climbing hydrangea which is white.

Ellianne Wed 09-Jun-21 16:19:56

They're all over my purple French lavender, but they don't like the white version.
Maybe the brighter colours in the sunshine will bring them round.

Peasblossom Wed 09-Jun-21 16:18:10

It was a cold late Spring so food stocks had to last for longer. Some bees may have starved but hives also monitor their supplies and kill weaker bees to ensure the survival of the hive.

With the better weather the hives will have new queens and build back to strength and some of the old queens will swarm and make new hives.

Casdon Wed 09-Jun-21 16:13:56

I’ve got lots of bees, both honey bees and bumble bees, I’m in the mountains though so there’s very little arable farming here, that may be something to do with it. Unfortunately there are also plenty of wasps about, I thwarted an attempt to build a wasps nest in my shed last week.

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Jun-21 16:13:27

I've seen lots of bees around. They are covering my ceanothus just now.

grandMattie Wed 09-Jun-21 16:03:05

Me too - plenty of bumblebees but very very few honey bees. I wonder how many colonies have died over winter, from hunger, from disease...

Chewbacca Wed 09-Jun-21 16:02:36

They're all clustered all over my alliums and chives; dozens of them.

Bea65 Wed 09-Jun-21 15:55:45

Have noticed not many bees flying about altho have seen wasps..they usually love my lavender but haven't seen any except for a couple of really large bumble bees a few weeks ago..