Gransnet forums

Gardening

What can we do with this?

(18 Posts)
Antonia Sat 19-Jun-21 09:26:41

DH and I have recently been given an allotment, which we are very pleased about, having been on a waiting list for years.
There is a round compost barrel there, with a square opening. We were going to get rid of it in favour of a standard compost bin, but unfortunately it's home to a colony of bees.
When we disturbed it, loads of bees flew out. They eventually all flew back in again, but now we don't know how to dispose of it.
Any ideas very welcome.

ExD Sat 19-Jun-21 09:30:52

Any chance of a photo of one of them?
If they are wild bees I believe they behave rather differently from the bees beekeepers look after. I think some die off in winter leaving only the Queen to carry on next year - but I'm not sure.
(those compost bins make excellent compost though - I'd keep it).

seacliff Sat 19-Jun-21 09:59:18

Ask on your local FB groups etc for a beekeeper. If they are honey bees they can be collected and moved to a hive .

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 10:29:18

What type of bees are they?

Antonia Sat 19-Jun-21 10:30:39

NotSpaghetti We think they are wild bees.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 10:32:08

ExD - honey bees may or may not be “wild”.
There are other bees of course, but basically, honey bees are honey bees.

Peasblossom Sat 19-Jun-21 10:34:12

Any chance you can just live with them?

They’ll be very good for pollinating your veg?

Antonia Sat 19-Jun-21 10:34:32

I am getting confused about what type of bees they are.

Peasblossom Sat 19-Jun-21 10:38:59

Basically wild bees are just bees that have set up on their own and are not being farmed by a beekeeper. They are also called feral bees since many colonies are thought to have “escaped” from being kept when they swarmed.

No difference really.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 10:39:34

Have a look here Antonia
www.bbka.org.uk/what-bee-is-this

jaylucy Sat 19-Jun-21 10:45:22

I had the same problem with one of my compost bins.
I contacted my next door neighbour who, at the time, kept bees , she came to collect them.
She told me later that they were not the usual honey bees as they were smaller , but nevertheless they produced an amazing amount of honey!
Why not keep the round bin anyway and have a second square one?
The bees may well move on next spring and you will probably find that one compost bin isn't enough!

Grammaretto Sat 19-Jun-21 10:47:54

Contact a bee keeper. I can understand the frustration of being unable to get going with your allotment whilst being in such close proximity to a bee hive.
I am sure there will be a safe way to move them. The beekeeper will smoke them to quieten them and then take them away.

greenlady102 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:48:59

cam you not spare them that little bit of allotment space? Bees are important and they are in decline in the wild. I had a compost heap in the garden that had a bee colony in it. They did no harm and we live together happily for many years until the colony died out, no idea why. Treat yourself to a posh new bin and just ley the other one bee (see what I did there?)

Antonia Sat 19-Jun-21 10:50:46

Not Spaghetti thank you for the link. From the pictures, we think they are red tailed bumble bees.

25Avalon Sat 19-Jun-21 10:57:03

If you find a beekeeper from your local beekeeper’s association they will be able to advise what the bees are and remove them to a new home.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Jun-21 11:02:40

Red tailed bumblebees (and indeed other bumbles) don’t try to over-winter in colonies.

Have a look here now and you can find out more about these useful little bees:
www.bumblebeeconservation.org/red-tailed-bumblebee-species/

Dollydinkum Tue 22-Jun-21 03:55:01

I didn’t realise there are so many different bees.

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Jun-21 07:19:23

I know! How amazing. There are 276 known types of British bees though most of them are the solitary type (the ones that don't live in colonies).
When my children were small, we recorded bees for several years on a bee chart. They were always excited if they found a variety they hadn't seen before.