Gransnet forums

Gardening

Treating mildewed gooseberries

(3 Posts)
Farmor15 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:38:55

I have a few gooseberry bushes though it's a race between me and the blackbirds trying to pick them! One bush - an old variety - seems very prone to a type of mildew. The berries get coated in a blackish mould which doesn't damage them and it can be scraped off leaving a perfect berry. This year it seems particularly bad but I didn't want to waste them. I decided to try an experiment.

I picked the mildewed berries - about a kg - and put them in a net bag with a pumice stone. I then put them in the washing machine with a very small amount of detergent and medium wash with cold water. I let them have about 20 min or so of being tumbled around in the bag with the stone and then set the machine to drain. I was surprised how well it worked - almost all the black coating was gone, and the agitation also "topped and tailed" them as an added bonus! I rinsed them very well a number of times to make sure no detergent was left and they are now frozen - safe from the birds!

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Jun-21 20:42:29

Very innovative! Never heard of that.

Farmor15 Wed 30-Jun-21 20:46:46

Not sure how I got the idea, but if you watch any of those "how do they do that" programmes about factories, you'll see fruit or vegetables being washed by being tumbled around quite roughly in big machines.