Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cucumber Problem. ???

(9 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 07-Jul-21 07:16:11

Our cucumbers, usually so successful, are a disaster dahling!

The leaves have dried out, gone yellow, and tiny little cobwebs have developed on the stems.

DH thinks it is red spider mite, he has sprayed them, but not much difference. The cucumbers which are the little lunch size ones, just aren’t growing as they should. We have picked and eaten one or two, after peeling, they taste fine but hardly any more coming.

Any advice appreciated.

This has never happened before.

Peasblossom Wed 07-Jul-21 07:41:46

It’s a bad season. I’ve just been out in the garden for an early morning stroll and my veg are so disappointing. Usually I’d have a couple of little cucumbers a day by now. So far I’ve had two and, although there’s plenty of flowers I can’t see where the next one is coming from. The tiny ones just seem to sit there.

I put a lot of energy (and money) into creating a veg plot at this new house and am hanging my head in shame?

Chewbacca Wed 07-Jul-21 07:44:15

I'm growing 2 Mini Munch cucumber plants Calendargirl and have had more problems with them this year than ever before! Are your cucumbers growing in large pots? From what you've described I think the problem might be overwatering. The little cobwebs are a form of mildew caused by too much water lying in the pot and the only solution is to ease up on watering and raise the pot up for better drainage.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Jul-21 09:18:30

He thought it might be overwatering Chewbacca and has eased up on it the last week or so, but not much better, sadly.

Chewbacca Wed 07-Jul-21 09:42:37

If they're in large pots, can you dig out some of the wet soil and replace it with fresh dry compost perhaps? It might check the growth a bit but you haven't got anything to lose by trying. It's so annoying! I've lost 2 cucumber plants and a Cantaloupe melon already this year because of strange weather patterns.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Jul-21 09:56:52

My tomatoes are poor this year too.
sad

25Avalon Wed 07-Jul-21 10:30:41

It could also be spider mites. These will move from one plant to another and like dry conditions. Cucumbers, however, do not like being overwatered and will get root rot so a fine mist spray a few times a day in hot conditions is best to deter spider mites. To kill the ones you have treat the leaves on top and underside with an insecticide. I prefer pyrethrum powder which is a natural products.

When the current insects are dead there will be eggs in the soil which will hatch out later so keep a careful watch as they will be back.

LadyStardust Wed 07-Jul-21 18:15:35

Mine are dreadful this year! Not exactly sure what the problem is? Any ideas please?

lemongrove Wed 07-Jul-21 21:36:49

It’s a rotten year for outdoor tomatoes too, not enough sun or warmth all round.The courgettes are doing well, or at least look pretty good with huge leaves, as long as they actually produce some flowers.