Gransnet forums

Gardening

Advice Needed Urgently Please! ???️

(17 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 08-Jul-21 11:27:09

'Morning all
I'm planting a clematis and a honeysuckle (well, DH is).

Should they be planted still inside their pots, or should they be taken out?

My instinct is to take them out, but DH is not sure.
Thank you!

MawBe Thu 08-Jul-21 11:28:17

I would take them out.

tanith Thu 08-Jul-21 11:30:12

Definitely out of the pots.

Mapleleaf Thu 08-Jul-21 11:30:21

Yes, take them out.

MadeInYorkshire Thu 08-Jul-21 11:30:55

Definitely out of their pots!

JaneJudge Thu 08-Jul-21 11:31:14

take them out smile

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Jul-21 11:32:33

Excellent, thank you!
Tbh I didn't know what he was thinking of; but he used to work at a market garden, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt

greenlady102 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:36:33

ah.....in market gardens they will plunge plants into prepared beds pot and all to grow them on before sale. but I presume you aen't going into business? smile

Infinity2 Thu 08-Jul-21 11:42:40

Yes out the pots definitely. Two of my lifelong favourites. You have excellent taste FannyCornforth, and I expect you have a beautiful garden !

Katie59 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:09:23

Out of the pot but remember water them, in the nursery they will have been watered every day and only have small roots

Gilly1952 Fri 09-Jul-21 11:45:14

Take them out of the pots and very gently tease out the roots - if the plants have been in their pots for some time, their roots will probably be all tangled together. Gently spreading out the roots will help them get established. If you are planting next to a wall, it’s best to plant a little way away from the base of wall as it might be drier there, then lean the plants into the wall, if that makes sense! The plants will be at an angle to the wall. I usually leave the small cane in when I plant, as it does give the plant some support until it gets established. A handful of fertiliser in the planting hole is also a good idea. Once planted, water in to settle the plant. Hope this helps! My dear old mum loved Clematis and had loads in her garden.

PinkCosmos Fri 09-Jul-21 11:51:03

Clematis like cool roots so would always be better in the ground.

Honeysuckle does not like full sun and will thrive better in some shade.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Jul-21 11:54:43

Out for sure much too confined in a pot

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Jul-21 11:59:08

The plants we bought were in coir pots and the whole lot is planted out.

25Avalon Fri 09-Jul-21 12:12:14

Clematis likes its roots in the shade and head in the sun. Take the plant out of the pot and plant it deeper than it is in the pot. If you have some bone meal put a little in the bottom of the planting hole first. You can always put some stones around for shade.

The honeysuckle comes out of the pot and is planted at the same level as it is.

Hope they grow well and you enjoy beautiful flowers and perfume.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Jul-21 13:24:29

We have a couple of tiles over our clematis roots as apparently a cat's pee can kill them.

May not be true of course but old habits die hard!

Gabrielle56 Sat 10-Jul-21 10:06:18

If clematis is small i.e. not at least 4-5feet Tall with a good solid root system, plant it in a pot. Not necessarily the one it come in but to set it adrift in open border may be overwhelming for a young plant. Get the root system established in pots first even with bottom cut out sunk in ground, for couple of summers. Then break away the pot and should reveal great root system.plant really deep too they hate shallow planting.love cool dark roots. Honeysuckle? Bit tougher and rampant could usually be ok in border or big pot. Hope this helps ?