Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hampton Court Festival Gardens

(33 Posts)
MoorlandMooner Thu 08-Jul-21 18:14:56

Interested to hear your opinions of the gardens shown on last night's TV coverage.

I thought they were 70% hard landscaping, 29% 'entertaining area' and 1% plants.

As for the plane crash! An excellent message but a grim thing to stumble upon at a flower show and barely a plant visible.

Am I just completely out of date and this is what people want now?

Kali2 Sun 18-Jul-21 21:08:53

Ladyleftfieldlover

I love Kew and visit often. I know its not a flower show, but a show of flowers - and trees.

Yes, much prefer real gardens as they are representative of real gardening, with plants at their best, and then taken over by others- as the seasons come and go.

Polly12 Sun 18-Jul-21 21:06:10

I think those high prices are for the Preview Day(s) only? About £25 after that I think….

Kali2 Sun 18-Jul-21 19:54:01

Callistemon

Kali2

How much is the entrance? Daughter said £100- which I find incredible.

RHS members £63.75 and non-members £73.75 I think, Kali2.

Thanks, DD1 is RHS member and we went to nearby Wisley instead. Perhaps the £100 was for a special event. Still, wow!

Amberone Sun 18-Jul-21 19:49:23

We stopped going a couple of years ago - after three years in a row it was all very samey and boring. I used to enjoy seeing the special gardens but by the third and fourth year even the plant suppliers all seemed to be the same.

I used to enjoy the Gardeners World Live at the NEC, perhaps I'll try that again this year instead.

Callistemon Sun 18-Jul-21 18:25:52

Kali2

RHS members £63.75 and non-members £73.75 I think, Kali2.

Callistemon Sun 18-Jul-21 18:23:08

TerriBull

I lived so close to Hampton Court for years until we moved very recently, I could have walked there from my house, would have taken possibly half an hour, we were always walking in Bushy Park anywayr, just across the road from the palace. ............I'd never been shock but was very aware of the traffic when it was on!

Yes, probably 15 minutes away from where we lived but the Show wasn't in existence then unfortunately.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 18-Jul-21 17:51:36

I love Kew and visit often. I know its not a flower show, but a show of flowers - and trees.

Kali2 Sun 18-Jul-21 17:40:40

TerriBull Tue 13-Jul-21 07:53:08

I lived so close to Hampton Court for years until we moved very recently, I could have walked there from my house, would have taken possibly half an hour, we were always walking in Bushy Park anywayr, just across the road from the palace. ............I'd never been shock but was very aware of the traffic when it was on!

Barrygirl Tue 13-Jul-21 07:33:17

Mamissimo

I went to the show preview on Monday night and was very disappointed. The plane was the most memorable garden and I felt it was in the wrong place..... Show gardens at RHS shows are often inspiring and encourage beautiful planting - we saw no beautiful planting except for the vegetable garden. The flower tent was lacklustre and the rose tent cast a strange light over the blooms. Many trade stands had nothing at all to do with gardening and the music was all pervasive. I really hope the RHS isn't going the way of the National Trust!

I went too - it was supposed to be a special evening on Monday and cost almost twice as much as the other days. I was so disappointed! But, on the other side of the fence, one of the stall holders told me that because of the pandemic, their nurseries were down more than fifty percent so I guess some just couldn't provide the inspiration they should have done.

Harris27 Sun 11-Jul-21 18:19:37

I’ve been loving the show this week just a bit of normality for me. I take it with a pinch of salt that all of the gardens are ear marked for down south. Up north we need lots of. Of water as we get more rain than anyone. I do love the show and look forward to Chelsea it’s my favourite and I didn’t realise it was going to be on later in the year.

grannysyb Sun 11-Jul-21 18:15:15

I went on Wednesday, walked through Bushy park to get there, very lucky with the weather. I thought that the rose tent was very disappointing, only two suppliers. I didn't care for the plane, but it was a good message. Our allotment was showing there, saw a friend thus morning who said that Mary Berry was most impressed by the fact that we have a cafe every Sunday a the allotments! I'm going to Chelsea in September with my daughter, she's moving to a house with a large garden, it should be interesting, as they are only letting half the numbers in we should be able to see the gardens.

Knopflerfan Sun 11-Jul-21 17:53:47

Unigran4** That made my day - just the sort of thing I’d do! So glad your agapanthus is still going strong.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Jul-21 17:20:39

I’ve been to Hampton Court a few times, and I think that it is OK but no more than that really. It is good if you want to buy stuff though.

Unigran4 Sun 11-Jul-21 15:25:36

And I live in Staines! I went to the Hampton Court Show some years ago on the last day and bought many tall plants, completely forgetting I hadn't arrived by car!

I had to miss 3 buses home before a sympathetic driver let me on, and took myself to the terminus so that I had time to get everything off again.

Fortunately two lovely grandsons rescued me from the terminus and helped me carry everything home.

And one particular agapanthus reminds me every year how reluctant it was to get home in one piece.

Bluebellwould Sun 11-Jul-21 13:28:47

Kacee, sorry blooming auto correct

Bluebellwould Sun 11-Jul-21 13:28:22

Lace, at last someone lives near me !
I’m in Ashford!
Made my day!

Kacee Sun 11-Jul-21 13:24:21

Leggs55 I live in Sunbury on Thames and the traffic to Hampton Court actually goes past my house. I didn't think it was as bad this year maybe fewer tickets sold.

Aepgirl Sun 11-Jul-21 13:23:35

A friend of mine went to the Show last week and was so disappointed at the lack of plants.p this year.

Patticake123 Sun 11-Jul-21 13:08:51

I didn’t see the TV coverage but by the sounds of it I experienced similar thoughts at Chelsea a year or two ago. The multiple trade stands had very tenuous links to gardening, maybe a flower on their non gardening products. The show gardens were so much smaller than I’d expected and because of the crowds it was extremely difficult to see anything. Luckily I had won the two tickets but I certainly wouldn’t be in a rush to buy tickets and return. My local garden centres are more educational.

Harmonypuss Sun 11-Jul-21 11:33:36

My question here is, is this a "Garden Show" or a "Flower Show"?

If a flower show then yes, I'd expect to see lots of beautiful flowers but if its a garden show it can be anything and doesn't actually need to have a single flower in it, as many modern gardens have AstroTurf (plastic), slabs, decking, gravel etc.

My own back garden is fully slabbed with only one honeysuckle and one jasmine, both being very successfully strangled by my neighbour's triffid of an ivy plant

Theoddbird Sun 11-Jul-21 11:18:21

It is amazing. The allotments wonderful. The plane crash a wake up call but it shows that the planet will recover by showing all the ferns that have survived millions of years. I am looking forward to Chelsea. That will be truly exciting.. .

Jillybird Sun 11-Jul-21 11:05:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kestrel Sun 11-Jul-21 10:47:59

I was a bit shocked by the plane crash and not sure it will inspire anyone to help environment-wise. Thought she was jumping on bandwagon. Some nice plants in other gardens tho.

cc Sun 11-Jul-21 10:43:06

I always thought that Hampton Court was the show that was best for plants, with all the marquees, but I've not watched my recorded BBC programmes yet.