Gransnet forums

Gardening

Plant or weed?

(11 Posts)
spottysocks Fri 09-Jul-21 19:33:37

This is growing at the side of my shed, I don't know if it's come through from next door's garden or it's just a rather pretty weed ideas anyone?

vampirequeen Fri 09-Jul-21 19:48:28

Do you like it? If so, it's a plant. If not, it's a weed.

Skydancer Fri 09-Jul-21 19:53:40

It's beautiful. I can't really see what it is. Perhaps Yellow Archangel? In any case it's most likely a native UK wildflower so why not let it spread. It will surely attract insects or bees. There is no such thing as a weed really. They are wild plants which we need for biodiversity and we shouldn't hurry to pull them up and plant non-native species.

janeainsworth Fri 09-Jul-21 20:03:57

It’s loosestrife. This is what it looks like in my garden.

Casdon Fri 09-Jul-21 20:06:46

It looks like yellow loosestrife, I’ve got some in my garden. It’s pretty, but spreads quickly.

Casdon Fri 09-Jul-21 20:07:32

Snap Janeainsworth!

Hetty58 Fri 09-Jul-21 20:09:19

Very nice too! A lot of our native plants are pretty and easy to care for. They attract pollinators ad suffer few problems. I have ox-eye daisies, field marigolds and cornflowers everywhere this year.

25Avalon Fri 09-Jul-21 20:26:04

Lysimachia vulgaris or as others have said yellow or garden loosestrife.

spottysocks Fri 09-Jul-21 20:26:39

Thank you smile I'll try and dig it out and replant it somewhere in the garden rather than at the side of the shed where it can't be seen. It is rather pretty.

timetogo2016 Fri 09-Jul-21 20:37:06

If it`s pretty i don`t care if it`s a weed or not,i will keep it coming up.

ElderlyPerson Fri 09-Jul-21 20:43:14

If you can it would be best to ty to include a large lump of soil with it so as to minimise disruption to the roots then fill the hole with soil from elsewhere. Perhaps dig the reception hole first and use the soil from there. A good idea would be to put the plant in a plastic bag while you transport it so that bits of soil do not drop off the underneath while you are moving it, even if the moving is only a short distance.