Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hedge wars

(21 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sun 11-Jul-21 12:49:06

I've been in my bungalow two and a half years. In that time I've had the garden and house completely redone. Last year I got the horrible leylandii hedges which are between me and a neighbour's garden cut significantly. We took at least eight feet of them. This year I'm having them cut still further back as they're still too tall. My issue is, my neighbour isn't happy that I'm not getting the gardener to cut the hedge on her side and was quite sniffy about it. I explained that I'm happy to get the tops and my side cut every year and to gradually bring the size down but it's not my responsibility to cut it on her side. I've checked the council rules and that seems to be accurate but now I'm second guessing myself. Have any of you cut both sides of a hedge if one side was actually in someone else's garden?

winterwhite Sun 11-Jul-21 13:17:39

Suppose you offer to have both sides cut one year and your neighbour undertakes to have both sides done the next and so on? Might look neater and be better for the hedge.

J52 Sun 11-Jul-21 13:21:24

At our previous house the next door neighbours had a leyllandi hedge completely around their garden. It was planted on their land and they paid for it to be professionally cut on both sides each year. It was unnecessarily tall and we shared the cost when we wanted it lowered.
I would think that the cutting is down to the person whose land the trees are planted on.

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 13:23:28

We presently have a similar hedge down one side of the garden, it was about ten feet tall when we moved in, so we have kept it at that.We do our side and the top as far over as we can get, it’s an old hedge probably 50/60 years old so is very thick.Our neighbours do their own side, or get their son to do it.In our previous house we did the same, but as our neighbour was really getting very old at that time, DH used to do his side as a kindness.

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 13:24:56

Both hedges are planted on our side of the boundary.

theworriedwell Sun 11-Jul-21 13:28:10

Are the trees yours? I think legally you are right but if they are your trees I think morally you should pay. My neighbour has similar trees and I think it is really unfair that I have to put up with them, paying to keep them in check is even more annoying.

If you don't like them why not get them taken out?

Peasblossom Sun 11-Jul-21 13:28:35

An age old problem.

My neighbour has planted the trees on his land close to the joint fence. His trees, his choice to plant them, but I have the expense of keeping them in trim on my side or letting them overtake my garden.

Hardly seems fair does it?

Peasblossom Sun 11-Jul-21 13:29:22

I agree with worriedwell.

Alygran Sun 11-Jul-21 13:36:32

When we moved in we had a leylandii on our fence line in our garden. We had it cut professionally on both sides and all the mess taken away. After 3 years we decided to have it taken out. Neighbours planted Laurel right against the fence. They cut their side but because of the orientation the majority of the growth comes my way. They are not prepared to do my side, I’ve done it myself this year but I think I’ll have to pay to have it done in future.
I think your hedge your responsibility. Sorry.

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 13:36:56

It gives neighbours the greenery and privacy at no cost of planting though, so worth the maintenance of an annual clip.
Our neighbours love the hedge, and it houses all manner of wildlife too.

Welshwife Sun 11-Jul-21 13:40:16

When we bought a house a few years old in 1970 the front garden had leylandi all round it. I didn’t like it because apart from making the house dark there was a lamppost outside also and when the trees moved it was spooky!
We had them all cut down. I went past the house a couple of years ago and now 30/years after we sold it - it is surrounded by leylandi again!

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 13:40:33

GrandmaB you would need to check with the Council I think about this.It may be that your neighbour has got used to the previous occupant doing her side, or is just hoping that you will do it ( or get it done.)

Rosie51 Sun 11-Jul-21 13:52:54

Getting onto my regular soapbox, I think it should be law that any tree, hedge, or other plant you place in your garden should have all its growth contained in your property. Why plant a tree where half the canopy is going to overhang your neighbours garden whether they want it or not? I don't think it's fair to expect anyone to either have to do the work themselves or pay for someone else to do it when it's not their hedge, tree etc. I may be biased though, I detest the huge privet hedge in the garden that backs onto mine, it dwarfs my 6 foot fence and casts so much shadow sad

lemongrove Sun 11-Jul-21 14:01:32

Half a canopy of a very old and huge silver birch does hang over my garden at one side of the property, falling leaves and pollen are a nuisance, but oh boy is it beautiful!
Nobody wants a war with a neighbour so the best thing is to be helpful if they really dislike a feature of something intruding into their own garden, then try and be obliging.

Dottynan Sun 11-Jul-21 14:08:39

Why would you think your neighbours should cut YOUR hedge

Chewbacca Sun 11-Jul-21 14:08:42

Both sets of my neighbours have leylandii hedges all around their gardens; I have none; I have fences. One side regularly trims their hedges and always comes to my side and does that too; even cleaning up all the trimmings. The other side have their hedges cut once a year and doesn't bother with the ones that have overgrown my fence. I have no choice but to pay to have someone else's hedge cut. I know which neighbour I prefer.

Grandmabatty Sun 11-Jul-21 14:14:05

Thanks all. You've given me food for thought. The previous owner did nothing and let the trees grow without maintaining them. Prior to that, the neighbour told me previous owners had cut her side for her. It is a joint hedge as it is on the boundary so it isn't clear exactly who it belongs to. I've never had this situation as neighbours have always cut hedges on their side which is why I was taken aback. I totally understand your annoyance if you have a hedge which encroaches on your garden. I would love to get rid of them but it would cost a fortune! Something for the future. I'll speak to the gardener and find out how much it would cost to do her side. Thanks again.

Shandy57 Sun 11-Jul-21 14:14:11

I was glad when I bought my bungalow to see it was fenced on the three sides.

I could hardly believe it when the neighbour approached me in week one to ask me to 'go halves' on the cost of replacing a fence post. Having checked the deeds this fence is actually mine - I suspect she'd asked the previous owner to do it and she'd refused. I've found someone to do it - £40 well spent to keep good neighbourly relations!

Sarnia Sun 11-Jul-21 14:23:24

Rosie51

Getting onto my regular soapbox, I think it should be law that any tree, hedge, or other plant you place in your garden should have all its growth contained in your property. Why plant a tree where half the canopy is going to overhang your neighbours garden whether they want it or not? I don't think it's fair to expect anyone to either have to do the work themselves or pay for someone else to do it when it's not their hedge, tree etc. I may be biased though, I detest the huge privet hedge in the garden that backs onto mine, it dwarfs my 6 foot fence and casts so much shadow sad

Totally agree with you. Our back garden had a very tall and sickly looking pine tree right against next door's fence, planted by the previous owner. When we moved here almost 2 years ago our new next door neighbour asked if we were planning to take the tree down. He showed us his drive and the brick paving was like a switchback where the tree roots had grown under them. We came to an agreement that we would have the tree cut down and he would remove the roots and relay his drive. All sorted and still speaking. Matters like this can escalate into major disputes that often end in court if they are not dealt with by having a calm chat and reaching a compromise where possible. Going to court is eye-wateringly expensive.

shysal Sun 11-Jul-21 14:45:32

I have 2-3 metre tall hedges both sides of my back garden, planted next door in both cases. I cut my side plus the tops as far as I can reach, but as neither neighbour does anything to their garden, the hedges always look scruffy, as well as getting wider and wider from their side. I have paid a few times for the tops to be lowered but don't like to do anything too drastic for fear of upsetting anyone. It used to bug me but I have learnt to ignore them as well as the ivy and brambles which grow through. They badly need a trim at the moment but I am waiting to be sure the birds nests have been vacated.

Nannagarra Sun 11-Jul-21 17:55:26

As you have a hedge on the boundary, I’m with you all the way. It’s jointly-owned so you have equal responsibility. Absolutely no doubt about it. Perhaps she’s trying it on so that you’ll avoid any ill feeling. She’s behaving as if the onus is entirely upon you: she should ditch the sniffy, entitled attitude.

I live in one of four houses with south-facing rear gardens. They are all backed by houses with tall, shading, moisture-sucking conifer hedges. (???) For 30+ years the owners have only had the previous year’s growth from the tops and their sides cut. We, and our friends in the other three houses, would be grateful just to be forewarned so we could put down sheets to collect the debris which falls in our gardens.

I’d smile sweetly and tell her he’s a lovely man, that she’d be better to explain what she wants to him to do. I’d make sure he gives her half the ultimate bill (including the cost of the reduction in height which benefits her). You know, the way she paid half for the eight foot lopped last year… If she can find a gardener better suited to her wants, give her the job next year!
?

Conifer hedges? Uuugh! If my neighbours proposed having their hedges cut down to a reasonable height, I’d pay, pay, pay then dance for joy. I’d be the envy of the road and the ‘talk of the wash house’!
? ? ?