Gransnet forums

Gardening

Advice on mange tout needed

(7 Posts)
Esspee Mon 12-Jul-21 14:36:58

I am hoping that someone can give me the benefit of their experience with mange tout.
I have four plants which have supplied me with an abundance of pods over the last two months but I noticed today that there are few flowers in evidence to prolong the cropping season.
I have given them a watering with tomato fertiliser.

My questions are - are they short lived or can I do anything to extend their productive season? Would you normally successionally sow them and is it too late to raise new plants?

Farmor15 Mon 12-Jul-21 14:46:23

From my experience they are short lived and we normally do a bit of successional sowing. It's probably a bit late to sow more, but if you have the seeds, you could give it a try. Soak them overnight in water indoors to give them a bit of a start.

felice Mon 12-Jul-21 15:01:16

This reminded me of the time we took some of my neighbours to my Mums for a Sunday lunch.
I went into the kitchen to find her trying to get the tiny peas out.
She did not have much of a sense of humour but even she saw the funny side.

MissChateline Mon 12-Jul-21 15:07:30

I made the awful mistake of sowing mangetout peas in with ordinary peas and now as they start to pod i can't tell the difference. My neighbour said she did this last year and became good at picking out the correct ones. Maybe its a bit like the art of sexing chickens !

Esspee Mon 12-Jul-21 17:37:51

I’m just back from my local gardening centre as I was hoping I might be able to buy seedlings. No chance. They had some broad beans but that is all.
Next year I’ll do successional sowing. Thanks everyone.

Esspee Sat 31-Jul-21 09:22:42

Brief update. OH wanted to remove the plants but I gave them a thorough dosing with tomato feed and they started into growth again. I am now getting a good steady crop. Just enough for us and one neighbour per day (no more freezing space left) rather than the glut when they were at their best.

So don’t give up if your bushes have stopped flowering. Next year I’ll put them up in 100% rich compost as clearly they are greedy feeders.

MawBe Sat 31-Jul-21 09:27:06

felice

This reminded me of the time we took some of my neighbours to my Mums for a Sunday lunch.
I went into the kitchen to find her trying to get the tiny peas out.
She did not have much of a sense of humour but even she saw the funny side.

???

Sort of thing I would do!