Gransnet forums

Gardening

Strawberries, or not, as it happens!

(16 Posts)
Mumofthree Tue 13-Jul-21 10:57:17

hi, I bought a strawberry plant hanging basket from Asda a few weeks ago and have been patiently watching and waiting for the flowers to appear so I can hopefully have some strawberries. I have been so excited as there were a few flowers the other day and underneath the leaves I found a my first good sized berry...unfortunately, I wasn't the only one watching it as some(thing) has been taking chunks out of it...I am wondering if there is anything I can do to keep critters off it, I had that strawberry on my mind for ages and there are others growing now and I can't see anything in or on the plants so they know I am watching them....as I said it's a hanging basket so not sure what little pest is eating them...

jaylucy Tue 13-Jul-21 11:05:26

Slugs, snails and birds all love soft fruit. (yes I know it's in a hanging basket, but after watching a snail climb up the wall during a recent downpour, it's amazing how they can climb!
My bet is that it's birds doing the damage. If you have an old net curtain, you could try putting it over the basket especially overnight as the so an sos will often be fruit picking in the time just after dawn, or you can buy netting for the job.
Check around the bottom of your plant for any slugs or snails taking a nap and either try crushed egg shells or special eco friendly slug treatments - not the blue pellets.

jusnoneed Tue 13-Jul-21 11:32:52

Woodlice are what I find chomp into mine, the birds don't bother with them much and rarely find slugs or snails near them.

Namsnanny Tue 13-Jul-21 11:57:04

I think that's how they got their name - surrounded by straw to keep slugs and snails at bay, and to allow the berries to ripen on a soft bed without falling.

muse Tue 13-Jul-21 12:08:38

Mice eat mine. They’ll get to hanging baskets. They do need covering with netting a jay says.
Never found slugs in my strawberry bed but I do where the lettuce is!

Grandmabatty Tue 13-Jul-21 12:47:10

If you don't want to net because of birds getting caught in it, someone suggested a small jam jar over the top. I tried it and it worked.

Callistemon Tue 13-Jul-21 12:51:16

Our blackbirds love the strawberries.

It's not been a good year for soft fruit, strawberries in particular have been very poor.

3dognight Tue 13-Jul-21 13:01:18

I’ve had good success with a bed of barley straw, and nettting which is big enough to let pollinators in, but small enough to keep birds out.
However hard I try I cannot keep out mice and slugs.
To be honest I’ve given up growing strawberries these last few years.
Too much bother when they are so cheap in season.

jusnoneed Tue 13-Jul-21 13:25:22

We have had a really good crop this year, probably the best ever - in fact I was getting fed up with them lol. Have been tempted to get rid of them the last couple of years as they had only cropped lightly, but would then have to find something else to fill the bed.
Now have the raspberries looking good.

Callistemon Tue 13-Jul-21 15:39:27

Mumofthree

I heard a tip once how to keep birds away from the soft fruit - hang old CDs amongst it - that could work with hanging baskets. As the light catches the CD it puts the birds off.

Mumofthree Tue 13-Jul-21 20:42:00

lots of great ideas from you all... thank you I will try the netting and some CD's too..... I think I have old Strawbs cd...lol

Namsnanny Thu 15-Jul-21 10:20:37

We used to have a pick your own place near by. Those strawberries were delicious.
Now its Cheddar or nothing!!

Aldom Thu 15-Jul-21 12:52:13

It could be a squirrel eating your strawberry. A friend recently sent me the photo she had taken of a squirrel sitting on her fence, eating a large strawberry. smile

lemongrove Thu 15-Jul-21 14:10:53

Unfortunately, most things like strawberries, which is why I don’t bother growing them, but as others have said a net over the hanging basket will certainly help.

Allsorts Sat 17-Jul-21 20:20:21

Lots of strong health looking plants, not a flower or a strawberry.

Chewbacca Sat 17-Jul-21 20:28:23

I have a blackcurrant bush that was laden with big fat juicy berries last year. Pigeons stripped every single berry from it before I'd even managed to pick one. So this year, I've covered the whole bush with a fruit net and anchored it down. Nevertheless, I've actually seen the pigeons sit underneath the bush and try to rip the berries off from below.