Gransnet forums

Gardening

blackfly on my dhalias

(6 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 15-Jul-21 10:56:29

Has anyone found a way of stopping this. I grew the plants from seed and they were strong and looked beautiful when i planted them in the garden. Now they are covered with black fly and the flowers and new buds are being eaten!!!! Should i just give up and throw them away???

aggie Thu 15-Jul-21 11:01:53

I would blast them with the hose and hope to get rid of the most of the black flies, if you do this the birds might clean up the remainder
Some people recommend spraying with a solution os soapy water

shysal Thu 15-Jul-21 12:44:20

My dahlias didn't get the chance to attract blackfly. I nurtured them for weeks and the moment I put them outside to harden off they were stripped to the stalk by slugs/snails!
Sorry, I can't advise on your problem, hope you resolve it.

Brocky Thu 15-Jul-21 12:59:38

I would try soapy water to try and discourage black fly, I have found white fly on my petunia plants and have sprayed them with soapy water (the plant leaves are very sticky to touch). So far so good!

J52 Thu 15-Jul-21 13:55:58

Soak some garlic bulbs, liquidise them, strain and dilute with water in a spray. Slugs and black/ white fly don’t like it, but you won’t smell the garlic.

Welshwife Thu 15-Jul-21 14:52:45

Not heard about the garlic but my dad used to spray his runner beans with a weak solution of washing up liquid in water - seemed to cure that problem for him. He started the minute he spied one!