Gransnet forums

Gardening

Weed removal….organically ?

(72 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 17-Jul-21 14:34:39

I have let my grey slate patio get over run with weeds I’m afraid, we’ll they are in the grouting, what grouting is actually left! I have read that vinegar and salt will kill the weeds, I definitely don’t want to use chemicals as it’s a wildlife garden and I have frogs and hedgehogs visiting regularly. If a salt and vinegar solution is the way to go should it be applied at night? Thanks in anticipation..

Shinamae Sat 24-Jul-21 21:37:30

Nightsky2

Shinamae

25Avalon

A timely reminder treat everyone with politeness and kindness not because they are nice but because you are.

I hope the salt treatment worked for you Shinamae. I wonder if those who admonished you ever use it on their paths in the winter when it is icy? And what about the tons and tons of salt and grit on the roads which all go on the verges where lots of wildlife live?

Of course they didn’t 25 Avalon!! Admonishers are generally “paragons of virtue” as far as I can see and know everything about everything.Which is of course lovely for them who have had the fortune to have had a very good education but they do seem to take delight in beating people with their superiority stick and then sitting back with a cucumber sandwich and Earl Grey. It is not just me,I have been on this forum quite awhile now and I see some people berated and never seem to show their face on the forums again. Now there are other educated people, well educated people and they are so helpful and just trying to help without making themselves look big and the poster look small….in.both instances “you know who you are!!” Although saying that some are so far up their own behind I doubt they would recognise themselves as the way they behave is perfectly normal to them……

And as for the one-upmanship??‍?. Do what I do and have a good laugh, what else can you do as it’s so pathetic. I’m off to have my cucumber sandwich (or should test be sarnie) and my Earl Grey.

?????????????

Nightsky2 Sat 24-Jul-21 13:31:10

Shinamae

25Avalon

A timely reminder treat everyone with politeness and kindness not because they are nice but because you are.

I hope the salt treatment worked for you Shinamae. I wonder if those who admonished you ever use it on their paths in the winter when it is icy? And what about the tons and tons of salt and grit on the roads which all go on the verges where lots of wildlife live?

Of course they didn’t 25 Avalon!! Admonishers are generally “paragons of virtue” as far as I can see and know everything about everything.Which is of course lovely for them who have had the fortune to have had a very good education but they do seem to take delight in beating people with their superiority stick and then sitting back with a cucumber sandwich and Earl Grey. It is not just me,I have been on this forum quite awhile now and I see some people berated and never seem to show their face on the forums again. Now there are other educated people, well educated people and they are so helpful and just trying to help without making themselves look big and the poster look small….in.both instances “you know who you are!!” Although saying that some are so far up their own behind I doubt they would recognise themselves as the way they behave is perfectly normal to them……

And as for the one-upmanship??‍?. Do what I do and have a good laugh, what else can you do as it’s so pathetic. I’m off to have my cucumber sandwich (or should test be sarnie) and my Earl Grey.

Nightsky2 Sat 24-Jul-21 13:22:02

Shinamae

Now I shall wait with head well above the parapet for the diatribes …… won’t even wear a hard hat ?

And why should you, but just in case here’s one?‍♂️.

Shinamae Sat 24-Jul-21 12:47:45

Looking so much better now…..

Katie59 Fri 23-Jul-21 16:05:03

shysal

I have used the mushroom coloured Easyjoint (from Wickes) a couple of years ago and it is still intact so no weeds grow. It was very easy to apply, just wet it thoroughly and brush into the gaps. I have rather irregular riven slabs so didn't even use a pointing tool to smooth the joints.

Make sure the water can run off the slabs because it’s not going to drain through if you seal them.

shysal Fri 23-Jul-21 15:29:21

I have used the mushroom coloured Easyjoint (from Wickes) a couple of years ago and it is still intact so no weeds grow. It was very easy to apply, just wet it thoroughly and brush into the gaps. I have rather irregular riven slabs so didn't even use a pointing tool to smooth the joints.

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 12:46:19

This little fella cooling down on the edge of the pond yesterday

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 12:02:23

shysal

I don't think it will be much good for your remaining pointing though!

Probably not shysal but that does need digging out anyway and some kind poster recommended this so hopefully within a few months or weeks shed and patio should be done but I’m not holding my breath….
?

shysal Fri 23-Jul-21 11:30:02

I don't think it will be much good for your remaining pointing though!

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 10:11:41

Amazon haven’t got the actual one but they have got one similar and I think I’m going to go for it, thanks again ??

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 09:34:39

shysal

The other day I saw a video of the Mintiml weed snatcher. It looks easy to use on patios, paths and decking. There is a large selection for sale on Ebay.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9UmzHRTjw

Thanks Shysal that does look good I will see if it’s available on Amazon and how much it costs. ??

shysal Fri 23-Jul-21 09:09:36

The other day I saw a video of the Mintiml weed snatcher. It looks easy to use on patios, paths and decking. There is a large selection for sale on Ebay.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz9UmzHRTjw

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 09:01:01

Now I shall wait with head well above the parapet for the diatribes …… won’t even wear a hard hat ?

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 08:56:23

25Avalon

Polarbear2 Fri 23-Jul-21 08:08:03

SueDonim

Sorry, Polarbear I didn’t think! Chuckies, as Esspee says, are small stones or gravel. It’s a colloquial term, universally used in this area. smile

Ah I see. Now here in SYorks we’d ‘chuck’ stones at something. I wonder if that’s where calling stones chuckies comes from? It’s a nice word though.

25Avalon Fri 23-Jul-21 07:56:36

Shinamae Fri 23-Jul-21 00:27:55

Casdon

Crikey Shinamae I bet you weren’t expecting this. I hope the Easy Joint works for you, and that you can then enjoy your patio conscience free!

Water off a ducks back Casdon….. ? since I’ve been on this site I have discovered some lovely ?lovely ?people and some quite not so lovely people ?. and some quite ghastly people ?so there is quite a selection to choose from!!.. The superior a educated seem to make a beeline for me all the time she tried to put me down, they try to make themselves that big and make me look small but I think it makes them look bloody pathetic and you might have education but no breeding

MoorlandMooner Mon 19-Jul-21 16:52:02

M0nica

MoorlandMooner whether it will take just 10 minutes to weed rather depends how fit you are. Many older people would find hand weeding impossible.

You are quite right M0nica.

M0nica Mon 19-Jul-21 15:39:11

MoorlandMooner whether it will take just 10 minutes to weed rather depends how fit you are. Many older people would find hand weeding impossible.

Katie59 Mon 19-Jul-21 11:44:18

“The fact that you don't like slugs, mice and reptiles living in what is essentially their natural environment doesn't mean they should be killed there with salt.”

The point is that a patio is not a natural environment you have decided that when you laid the slabs, salt is not an approved weed killer, although on a patio is not going to cause a major problem. I don’t have any aversion to frogs and snakes etc, my garden is very dry year round so highly unlikely.

Glyphosate has been a generic chemical for many years mostly made in China these days and is very cheap, the only research in recent years has been done by environmental groups trying to rubbish it. First used in the mid 1960s it replaced many highly toxic residual chemicals, over 50 yrs on it’s probably the most widely used chemical worldwide and still very little evidence of any harmful effects.

Casdon Mon 19-Jul-21 11:05:36

Crikey Shinamae I bet you weren’t expecting this. I hope the Easy Joint works for you, and that you can then enjoy your patio conscience free!

MoorlandMooner Mon 19-Jul-21 10:15:42

Katie59

This talk of harming wildlife on a patio is way over the top, if you use salt or vinegar slugs and snails would certainly be affected, maybe mice too, I count that as a plus I don’t like snails crawling up my walls, possibly other reptiles too, do you get many frogs on your patio.

You have already decided to have a patio and remove the weeds for cosmetic reasons, if it bothers you that much leave the weeds alone.

PS glyphosate has been scientifically proved over 50 yrs not to harm wildlife.

'Way over the top' in your opinion.

The fact that you don't like slugs, mice and reptiles living in what is essentially their natural environment doesn't mean they should be killed there with salt.

The research into glyphosate to which I believe you refer was almost entirely funded by the weed killer industry which casts serious doubt on its impartiality.

Glyphosate has a detrimental effect on bees, impacting their activities and causing death.

p.s. Slugs are not reptiles.

Katie59 Mon 19-Jul-21 07:48:54

This talk of harming wildlife on a patio is way over the top, if you use salt or vinegar slugs and snails would certainly be affected, maybe mice too, I count that as a plus I don’t like snails crawling up my walls, possibly other reptiles too, do you get many frogs on your patio.

You have already decided to have a patio and remove the weeds for cosmetic reasons, if it bothers you that much leave the weeds alone.

PS glyphosate has been scientifically proved over 50 yrs not to harm wildlife.

annodomini Sun 18-Jul-21 11:47:51

My problem tops everyone else's. Two floods in five years, caused by overflowing street drains, have killed off so many good plants, including all perennials planted just before the flood two years ago. What's more, many noxious weeds that weren't there before took over and my garden is a wilderness. I can't cope with it and the garden maintenance company I took on last year was vastly expensive and made no lasting difference. My trees and shrubs, fortunately, are flourishing and the one flowering plant is a seemingly indestructible agapanthus which has been there for twenty years and now has masses of buds.

Kali2 Sun 18-Jul-21 11:23:07

Shinamae

MoorlandMooner

Oh my goodness that photo makes me so sad. Poor old nature.

What poor creatures, wild or domestic, are going to come to drink at that bowl on a boiling hot night and trail their feet and bodies through all that salt.

This is the RSPCA saying how dangerous salt is for animals.

All for a few weeds that would have taken 10 minutes to weed out by hand.

www.rspca.org.uk/documents/1494939/7712578/Rock+salt+poisoning+in+pets+%28PDF+101KB%29.pdf/663009e5-a4c0-44ed-1c88-a06376ccfd86?t=1559139782482#:~:text=Even%20a%20small%20amount%20of,of%20convulsions%20and%20kidney%20damage.

The salt is going to be washed away with a hosepipe in about an hours time

be careful where it goes, it will kill sutff in flower beds and your lawn just as well as the weeds.

With you all the way here Espee- breaks my heart.