Gransnet forums

Gardening

Slugs - prevention of

(15 Posts)
Ealdemodor Thu 22-Jul-21 12:08:24

Does anyone know something (not slug pellets) that deters slugs?
We are not great gardeners, but slugs carry lungworm, a disease dangerous for dogs.
Every morning and night, we have to do “slug patrol”, to keep the dog safe.

MoorlandMooner Thu 22-Jul-21 12:13:45

There was an interesting article on slugs and snails on the last episode of Gardeners World. I don't know if you might be able to see it on iplayer?

I'm a keen gardener with a dog and slug patrol is my method too. I've never found anything else that works.

Casdon Thu 22-Jul-21 12:31:02

Dogs don’t normally eat slugs do they? Mine will eat anything I thought, but he’s never shown any interest at all in slugs. I use organic slug pellets that don’t harm dogs though, it’s these.

Jaxjacky Thu 22-Jul-21 13:21:16

After years of trying gorse/egg shells/copper strips, etc I too use slug pellets without metaldehyde, animal safe.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Jul-21 13:59:13

Jaxjacky just what I do but I include eggshells too ?
However a lot of my stuff has been eaten by something other than slugs and snails either caterpillar or more likely something flying that gets under the netting

Esspee Thu 22-Jul-21 14:17:23

I have always had a problem with slugs. I use a combination of sunset slug hunts, grit, and slug pellets.
Someone adopted a green space at the bottom of our hill planting donated plants. When I saw the lovely variegated hosts I gave them a week.
It's almost 3 months later and the hostas are thriving. The only answer I can suggest is that it is extremely dry there whereas I water my garden.
I know nematodes work but they would work out extremely expensive for my garden.

Esspee Thu 22-Jul-21 14:18:30

Hosts = Hostas (bloody predictive text)

Ealdemodor Thu 22-Jul-21 14:34:33

Thanks for the suggestions, will go for the dog-friendly pellets.
Our dog has never taken much notice of slugs before, but this year she seems to home in on them, and I am worried she will catch something.
I saw a poster on the Tube about lungworm, first time I have seen that in a public place. Maybe this year is particularly “sluggy”!

jeanie99 Wed 04-Aug-21 08:23:15

I absolutely hate slugs, they are a menace but I don't use pellets because of the birds I encourage into the garden.

henetha Wed 04-Aug-21 10:33:25

I plant little yoghurt pots in the ground and fill them with beer.
The slugs seem to like beer and they fall in and drown.

oldeman Wed 04-Aug-21 13:59:07

Beer traps work well as described above. I find putting gravel around plants also helps. Some garden shops now sell copper strips and they are pretty good for putting around plant pots or patio pots. If none of these work the only alternative is animal friendly slug pellets.

oldeman Wed 04-Aug-21 14:00:13

dynamite is good too lol

fairfraise Wed 04-Aug-21 14:07:09

Dried up Holly leaves around young plants are good too if you have any.

Mistyfluff8 Wed 04-Aug-21 14:13:28

Egg shells work scrunched up. And I plant nasturtium seeds which seems to stop them

JaneJudge Wed 04-Aug-21 14:14:15

encourage hedgehogs, plant a meadow, leave grass long in places etc