Gransnet forums

Gardening

NZ flatworms - is this a taboo subject?

(8 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 28-Oct-21 09:55:53

The flatworms were first reported in Scotland in the 1960s and have spread to all of Scotland and into Northern England.
They don't seem to prey on those little brandling compost worms, or on slugs unfortunately but their sole diet is those lovely fat earthworms.
Here is a picture of a flatworm (to avoid!)

Hetty58 Thu 28-Oct-21 09:53:40

Loads of earthworms here in London - and the red composting worms around tree stumps and in the bins. If there were any risk, I'd be rinsing the roots too - or asking for cuttings and seeds instead.

fairfraise Thu 28-Oct-21 09:45:23

Those thin red ones are of course young earthworms.

Daisymae Thu 28-Oct-21 09:26:08

Haven't seen any here, didn't realize they were a problem. It's interesting though, someone has dumped old compost in the field behind our house, obviously from pots and I have been wondering about the spread of disease/pests. It's good that your group are aware of this issue.

fairfraise Thu 28-Oct-21 09:20:04

I've just googled them. None at all here in my garden, south Wales. We do have loads of those thin red ones though, plus the usual kind!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 28-Oct-21 09:20:02

No flatworms are huge.

Those are almost certainly brandling(sp?) worms that are necessary in the compost heap.

Iam64 Thu 28-Oct-21 09:16:34

Grammaretto, I’d never heard of these things. Google tells me they eat earthworms. I’ve noticed less earthworms in my garden.
I have the same red worms in my compost. Are they the dreaded NZ flatworms?

Grammaretto Thu 28-Oct-21 08:57:31

I was asking at my craft group yesterday if anyone was dividing plants right now as I have a new bed to fill. There was a hush and then the mention of NZ flatworms which the others admitted to having in their gardens.
As a result they don't have earthworms which are essential for soil fertility. They didn't want to share their plants in case of spreading these unwelcome flatworms.

Does anyone here suffer from the lack of earthworms?
I probably have flatworms too but I said I would rinse any plants and check for the baddies.
www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=975
I have a lot of red worms in my compost but I haven't seen any earthworms for a long time.
Here are the worms I have in abundance.