Gransnet forums

Gardening

Supermarket fruit trees

(12 Posts)
Esmay Tue 05-Apr-22 13:37:21

Hi ,
I bought a selection of very cheap fruit trees from Lidl and Tesco's.
They are great quality.

Originally in huge pots they are planted
out in a section of the garden ,which I intend to be temporary as it's too small .

As the soil is acidic I've limed the soil .

It's nasty stuff so it's been distributed wearing plastic gloves a mask and not on a windy day as I didn't want it in my eyes .

I had to make a barrier to protect the acid loving plants next to it .
'
Sunk deep you can't see it !

midgey Fri 25-Feb-22 17:09:35

Our Tesco is selling fruit trees. Had standard roses last month.

silverlining48 Fri 25-Feb-22 15:10:00

Just been to Aldi and they were selling lovely orange and lemon trees. Didn’t check price but it’s never much. I bought an apple tree a few years ago, had an decent choice of variety, £3.99. It’s grown a treat.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 25-Feb-22 12:43:58

I’ve bought several fruit trees from Aldi, all doing well, but think their labelling needs some attention, what was labelled as a discovery turned out to be a coxes, shame, as I had one of those already?

Oldnproud Fri 25-Feb-22 12:43:21

Daisend1

Morrisons head office are helpful, from my experience.so give them a call. Internet should give details of the number, and they will be able to advise where you can obtain the info you are looking for.

That's a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. Thank you ?

Daisend1 Fri 25-Feb-22 12:37:35

Morrisons head office are helpful, from my experience.so give them a call. Internet should give details of the number, and they will be able to advise where you can obtain the info you are looking for.

glammanana Fri 25-Feb-22 11:37:03

I bought a miniature grape tree 4 yrs ago from B&M and was quite fretful that it would not take well hmm but how wrong I was it has taken well and last year we had some small but perfectly formed grapes maybe in a few years time I may be lucky and am able to pick a bunch .

Oldnproud Fri 25-Feb-22 11:26:05

I had a look around Daventry earlier this week but not a fruit tree of any sort to be found, let alone dwarf ones,. I tried Waitrose, Aldi, Tesco, B&M and B&Q.

I popped into a local nursery and they had just had some Fruit trees in, but none were dwarf, and they didn't have the varieties I wanted anyway!

Oldnproud Fri 25-Feb-22 11:18:00

Thanks. aonk.

I will be going into town next week so will have a look there.

JaneJudge Fri 25-Feb-22 11:16:14

I know sainsbury's sell plants and trees too. I bought quite an established wisteria from there for only £20 and I didn't think it would do very well, what with being from a supermarket but it has really established itself quickly smile

aonk Fri 25-Feb-22 11:15:31

Yes I have seen some in Wilkinson. My DH bought a cherry tree for £6!

Oldnproud Fri 25-Feb-22 11:13:57

More specifically, Morrison's fruit trees. Does anyone know if they are selling any yet this year?

In the past, they have sold 'patio' fruit trees, which are exactly what I need. This year I hope to buy both a Bramey apple and a Conference pear, possibly a cherry too, and definitely want them on dwarf or semi-dwarfing rootstock.

I'm really hoping that they will sell these again this year, following the take-over last autumn.

Failing that, has anyone seen dwarf fruit trees on sale at any of the other supermarkets?